Penumbra: Overture Ep 1 Released

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Penumbra: Overture Ep 1 Released

Postby Yezide » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 am

I just want to inform you all that the first episode of Penumbra: Overture is now released! For more information and how to buy it (if you wanna do that, that is :) ) please visit:
http://www.penumbra-overture.com/

For a quick look into the game, here is a recent trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBPJKrR2K_c

Finally I wanna thank all that have been part of developing Newton Dynamics , especially Julio who have taken time to look into bug raports, listen to feedback and help out with various problems. Also a big thanks to everyone that have helped me on the forum and to everyone that have given good feedback on the demos.
Yezide

Postby walaber » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 am

congrats on the release! I saw your game written up in Edge, and a few other magazines, you must be proud of your accomplishments!

again, great work!!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:21 pm

Wow man, it seems a long time since you had a dream than one day we will not be just by the engine that you use, but by the content of your game. (where did I get inspiration for said that, it sounded cool).
Man this game is scary as hell.

I when to the nett to find references, and to my surprise I find more linux Google references than they are for windows. Is this cross platform?

Le us hope that for episode two we can put some liquids, and maybe some blood, and perhaps some cloth on some of the raged mine equipment, I would like to see some dangerus liquid acid spilled from that bucket. But for now let us sit down and enjoy the ride.

Congratulations man.
Julio Jerez

Postby Yezide » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words! I feel really happy about the relase, it really is great after all hard work to finally have it out :)

As for cross platform, a linux and mac port is on the way. Linux is almost done and there is even a beta version of the demo.

And I hope add more cool physics for next episode. Will look deeper into all newton features and see what more stuff I can use :)
Yezide

Postby PierreBlanc » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:00 pm

fantastic and original work !

At least after all these years I find a game that I really enjoy to play, this is definitivly a hit ! The atmosphere is amazing, congratulations.
PierreBlanc

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Hey I got the game in the mail today, thank you
This will have special place in my collection :D

I had been doing some google search for reviews and I noticed that the reviews had been positve but average, from 6 to 8. But I also noticed than Fan Reviews are about 15 point higher than editor reviews.
Let me tell you something, I had been in this industry for many years, The game business is not as clean as people think, why do you think that the average price tag of a video game is 6 to 10 million dollars, and that for a run of the mill game, the so called AAA game like goes for over 50 million.
It is not developer salary, is mostly publisher buying magazine Ads, shelve space, TV ad, Movies License and so on.
Trust me the score of reviews are directly correlated to the number of Ads the publisher bought on the magazine, and even with that kind of payola many time 50 million dollars games get scores of 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Basically what those magazines are reviewing is not Penumbra overture, what they are doing is that they are sending a message to your publisher that they did not payed thier due, and they will not give you good scores unless your publisher put money in advertisement.

Notice that each and every review say the game is excellent, in game play, story, game mechanics, sound, and originality. The only thing that gets lower score is the amount of art and the quality of the art and animations, which are the things out of your control because it really cost lot of money and it is wher ethe biog budge also make a difference. Yet they still give a low score.
Believe not game with score of 6 or 7 get a “recommended” or “you will not be disappointed” as final verdi.

Anyway thank you for the game, I will brag now. :D
Julio Jerez

Postby bakura10 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi !

Here in France the first tests has arrived ! In Canard PC (magazine) and Gamekult (website), two of those who are the most severe, you got 8/10 (Canard PC) and 6/10 (Gamekult).

In French : http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiche ... _test.html

HEJA SVERIGE !!! :lol:
bakura10

Return to User Gallery