Classic racer

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Sury » Wed May 18, 2005 12:23 pm

Outstanding as usual !
Are those reflections on the cars enviorement cubemaps or just D3DTSS_TCI_SPHEREMAP spheremaps, and are you using point sprites or billboards for the particles ? Either way, looks sweet.
Sury

Postby tomek » Wed May 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Reflectinos are static cubemaps - I can switch updating but it costs too much if not optimized and I haven't got time to do it right so far.

Regarding particles - they are ordinary quad billboards. In fact there are not many particles(only smoke). But in next game I plan to do more fx.
tomek

Postby walaber » Wed May 18, 2005 10:17 pm

one thing I'd like to ask is how you create the skid marks on the road. are they just textured planes aligned with the road?
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby tomek » Thu May 19, 2005 2:09 am

walaber wrote:one thing I'd like to ask is how you create the skid marks on the road. are they just textured planes aligned with the road?

Yes, they are only triangles. If you start looking at them in game, then you could probably see it after a minut, but they are quite well composed with road so it's hard to see it if you dont know what to look for.
tomek

Postby Stucuk » Thu May 19, 2005 8:14 am

Decals, most commonly seen as bloodmarks on walls, etc.
Stucuk

Postby BigB » Thu May 19, 2005 8:57 am

Impressive :)
I only checked them now, i wished i did before..., :)
BigB

Postby Sascha Willems » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:36 am

Congrats!

Just saw this on Gamer's Hell and directly downloaded the demo. It's fun to play and it's also great to see games made by people on this forum on such big sites like GH.

But I also have some (hopefully constructive) criticism/bugreport :

The sound effects (brakes, crashes, etc.) are so silent on my system (Sound is nForce SoundStorm) that I at first thought the game had only music but no other effects. But in cockpit view I can very barely hear if I e.g. crash against a tree or if I pull the hand brake. I guess this is a hardware-specific problems, but I usually don't have troubles with my SoundStorm on-board. Note that the sound effects in the main menu work.

Controls are very sensitive on my system. Maybe that is connected to high framerates, dunno. But for me it's very hard to steer the vehicle when the controls are so sensitive. Maybe make it tweakable in the options?

Otherwise it's as already said looking and driving nice, hope it'll be at least a small success for you, since I guess you put much work into it.
Sascha Willems

Postby tomek » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 am

Sascha Willems wrote:Congrats!

Thank you:) I didn't know it's available for download:)

Sascha Willems wrote:But I also have some (hopefully constructive) criticism/bugreport :

The sound effects (brakes, crashes, etc.) are so silent on my system (Sound is nForce SoundStorm) that I at first thought the game had only music but no other effects. But in cockpit view I can very barely hear if I e.g. crash against a tree or if I pull the hand brake. I guess this is a hardware-specific problems, but I usually don't have troubles with my SoundStorm on-board. Note that the sound effects in the main menu work.

Sascha Willems wrote:Controls are very sensitive on my system. Maybe that is connected to high framerates, dunno. But for me it's very hard to steer the vehicle when the controls are so sensitive. Maybe make it tweakable in the options?

I'm aware of this problems, yet it's good you can confirm it. It's my fault, bit related to publishers requests. I had to change car physics and sounds several times(they accepted it then rejected) and it hasn't been finished eventually...

Sascha Willems wrote:Otherwise it's as already said looking and driving nice, hope it'll be at least a small success for you, since I guess you put much work into it.

Thank you! It's always nice to hear and motivating :D
tomek

Postby Sury » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:37 pm

Congrats alien3(dds) ;) Nice job !
Except the already discussed issues, the game performes pretty fine with about 19-24 fps on 800x600 in "Tournament" mode. I guess you capped the fps to 24 and you are also using static shadow map for the level.
Btw i think there's a bug in the back lights , when you crash against something then they fire up when you press forward key instead of the backward.The music is a bit strange for a classic racer, but still puts some addrenaline in the gameplay.

Great game, i wish you luck in the market.

PS :
btw is the main menu done by only using DX fonts ?
Sury

Postby tomek » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:12 pm

Thanx Sury!

Indeed, framerate is cpped to 24fps - I had extrapolation codepath but there were some problems that I didn't have time to correct so I switch this feature off.

BTW. There are some thing that was changed by a publisher without my involvement... (Music wasn't my idea :) )
tomek

Postby The unProfessional » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:04 am

Very cool :) It's pretty damn fun to play.

Not sure how much of a hassel this would be, but anyone I back up to escape one of the buildings I consistently hit, I get the "wrong way" icon right away. It'd be cool if it didn't pop up unless I go the wrong way for at least a second or two. Minor though :)

The driving feels great, and it's very professional

Sfx were quiet on my system too, though. You should ask the publisher to use something like 50s rock for the music... I think that'd be a much better fit.

Congrats, Tomek... great accomplishment.
The unProfessional

Postby tomek » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 am

Thank you The unProfessional :D

The icon is my fault :wink:

as you may see gme is somewht inconsistent.

Logo doesn't really go well with menu backgorund, music isn't suitable for such game etc. I isn't my choice... Publisher do it on their own after I ship them a game. Regarding driving model - It's not really bad but I'm not too proud of it. I wish I had more time to do it, the proper way instead of doing bunch of hacks(in Beta version!!)

Thank you all for support!
tomek

Previous

Return to User Gallery