Classic racer

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Sury » Tue May 10, 2005 1:47 pm

Hey this project is getting real sweet ! :D
Are those ray cast vehicles ? (I remember you said that you are going to switch to ray cast)
What's the tv3d_scr folder name stands for..., TrueVision3D ?
Anyway, good luck with the release.
Sury

Postby tomek » Tue May 10, 2005 1:54 pm

Sury wrote:Hey this project is getting real sweet ! :D
Are those ray cast vehicles ? (I remember you said that you are going to switch to ray cast)

Yes, they are all raycast cars.

Sury wrote:What's the tv3d_scr folder name stands for..., TrueVision3D ?

Yes, I started a thread at truevison forums and posted there these screenshots [url]http://www.truevision3d.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8861&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=c40f56970ed71a29c71cb937fd054acb
[/url]

Sury wrote:Anyway, good luck with the release.

What to say - thank you :D
tomek

Postby tomek » Tue May 10, 2005 2:20 pm

tomek

Postby Sury » Tue May 10, 2005 6:04 pm

The simulation seems pretty fast and robust , and i guess it's pretty CPU cheap, allowing alot of cars running at high speed.
Given the fact that almost all fast racers out there use that,plus some early GameStudio Newton demos , i wonder if the file "CustomRayCastCar.cpp" in latest Newton SDK(which is empty at the moment) is going to be implemented or if someone wants ray cast, he must do it by himself ?
Sury

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue May 10, 2005 9:12 pm

Kick ass. It reminds my crazy taxi the game. I like it a lot.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Tue May 10, 2005 11:44 pm

beautiful destruction video!!! very crazy-taxi-like, as Julio said. by the way I love crazy taxi, so that's a big compliment :D
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby tomek » Wed May 11, 2005 3:04 am

Thank you :D

But in fact destruction is all carried by Newton - in my code it's just 100 lines, so all credits go to Julio!

In next game I'm planning more sofisticated model with pseudo-FEM - I'm curious if my ideas will work - but similarly - it will be built on Newton.
tomek

Postby JernejL » Fri May 13, 2005 6:45 am

tomek wrote:I've got another movie, showing why I don't like these jumps and stay with 1.30. Note that this behaviour isn't 'boosted' by me in any way - it's just vehicle joint with 50kg wheels.

http://www.tmreality.com/jumps.avi

The lesser whell mass is the better behaviour is but 5kg wheels doesn't provide enough grip and like to jump without reason

exactly what i seen in my car joint test project, i didn't think it was
bug, i thought i was doing something wrong :shock:
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri May 13, 2005 7:08 am

It is not a bug the suspension is too tight.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t that the video in which Tomek was calibrating the suspension with a gravity of 30, and the running with a gravity of 10?
That will produce the exact same effect you see in the video. In fact it will be wrong if it did not do that.
Julio Jerez

Postby JernejL » Fri May 13, 2005 3:33 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:It is not a bug the suspension is too tight.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t that the video in which Tomek was calibrating the suspension with a gravity of 30, and the running with a gravity of 10?
That will produce the exact same effect you see in the video. In fact it will be wrong if it did not do that.

right, if you put that vehicle in such situation onto roof the vehicle will
be pulled into air, it is being pulled into the direction that faces the car
bottom, that can't be normal..
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri May 13, 2005 4:11 pm

But it is normal. I said before you can not make the spring indefinitely tight, which is what happen if you call balance tires with a fake gravity value.

You can not take the springs of the Cap of a 16 wheeler and place it into a pickup it simple not going to work.

Anyway I am sorry if is not working for you I can only provide what I know and give advise of how to use it, I can not be held responsible for the user’s interpretation and implementation.

Right now I am learning tricks from other users that I did not even know were possible. I know the Vehicle joint is a little twitchy and have some problems this is why I said I was going to work on it, but I also know that no matter how much it is improved, the improvements are not going to make up for doing improper things.
Julio Jerez

Postby tomek » Tue May 17, 2005 2:55 pm

here is new short video http://www.tmreality.com/seaside.avi 8)

sorry for shortness, but traffic on my site is near bandwidth limit(in may I've got gigs of downloads!) :lol:

EDIT:

BTW once I wanted to overttake Walaber in number of posts but it seems to be impossible until you are Julio Jerez :wink:
tomek

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue May 17, 2005 9:40 pm

Oh s-h-i-t simply kick ass.
You are going to have to teach me some of your tricks dude. I am extremely impressed.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Wed May 18, 2005 2:17 am

tomek- sorry, I'll cut down on the posting :P

by the way, the videos look beautiful!! this game looks fantastic.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby tomek » Wed May 18, 2005 2:51 am

It's very nice to me when you like my work :D

BTW I'm showing these videos over the net to attract new users - it seems to be catchy as bandwith of my site is almos exhausted and I need to upper the limit :lol:
tomek

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery