JagdGeschwader (Contest-Entry)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

JagdGeschwader (Contest-Entry)

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:33 pm

I already posted this in the internal SDK-Developers forum, but since the deadline for the contest is over I now make this official.

Over the last 2 1/2 months I was working on a game for the PGD Dogfight Competition (PGD = Pascal Game Developement), called JagdGeschwader.
And from the very first beginning I did not only knew that I would do something with WW2-planes, I also knew that I'd use Newton for that game. So the deadline is now over and so I make this public.

You can download the game here (RAR-compressed, ~10 MBytes). The game includes the whole Delphi source code (which was part of the contest rules), so maybe someone can learn something out of it. Here is a short list of the things in the game that I implemented using Newton :
  • Aircraft physics (arcade-style) using Newton's buoyuancy features
  • Tree collisions for the terrain and the vegetation
  • Raycasting for hit detection
  • Raycasting for placement of aircrafts and the vegetation
  • Materialinterface/callbacks to detect different types of collision (e.g. with terrain, bonus-objects, etc.)

And last but not least here are the final screenshots (click to see a bigger version) :

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Before playing it please take a look at the included readme. Also note that this game is multiplayer only, either via LAN (also note that the LAN-mode is not as good as I wanted it, due to lack of time for it) or (preferred) via splitscreen.
Sascha Willems

Postby The unProfessional » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:08 pm

You do all your own art, Sascha?
The unProfessional

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:06 pm

Yes, except that I used some freeware models for the aircrafts this time, since I hadn't have enough time to do some my own. But the rest (also except the music) was done by myself.
Sascha Willems

Postby The unProfessional » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:44 pm

Yet again, I'm very impressed.
The unProfessional

Postby vinhk » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:22 pm

Sascha, man it look so great, i love arcade style aircraft shooting game, this is a very good example of one-man game developer, i'm making a arcade fighting game using newton too, ya game is my motivation. 8)
vinhk

Postby kjelle69 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:41 am

I LOVE Flying ! I have PPL pilot licence and fly Cessnas and other single engine planes myself. Motorised gliders and hangglider too.

I am totally addicted to the IL2 sturmovik series. Your game feels very good in an arcadish way. And the graphics... Whoa. Man how do you get the time to create all this by yourself ???
kjelle69

Postby BigB » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:00 pm

Very nice Sascha, everything looks and feels very professional.
I'm very impressed by the speed that can be achieved by Delphi too...,
Great work :)

Let us know in what position of the contest you get
BigB

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:34 pm

The results are in, and my entry scored 2nd place. Not what I hoped for, and I think it's due to the lack of singleplayer in my entry, as the winning entry also can be played against AI and also it's physics are simpler. But nonetheless it's no bad place and I've won prices for ~400$.

P.S. : Follow this link for the result page of the contest. My entry is 10 points behind the first place.
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:50 pm

Congratulations, I see that it was a very tight desition for the first place too.
Julio Jerez

Postby _Tux_ » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:23 pm

congratulations Sascha. the biggest problem i had with the entry was it was sometimes hard to figure out my orientation on the map and also hard to aim. to me, single player wasnt really necessary as i went by the best parts of the entry (ie joystick controls for airblast and keyboard for yours as thats what worked best)

was a very close competition for the front runners :) (i was suprised by sodoma lite's final position as i had to really fight it to get it to play)
_Tux_

Return to User Gallery