Difference between Newton and CNewton [Solved]

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Difference between Newton and CNewton [Solved]

Postby rystills » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm

This is something that has been confusing me a bit since I switched to Newton Dynamics. What is the difference between Newton and CNewton? I have noticed that both allow me to perform more or less the same functions, but use different types and syntax (with CNewton being denoted by a 'd' prefix, ie. dNewton, dNewtonCollision, etc..). I would like to try out the CNewton PlayerController included in the sdk, but my codebase currently uses regular Newton types, which don't seem to be compatible. Is it possible to mix and match Newton and CNewton types? If not, is there a regular newton version of the PlayerController that I could mess with?
Last edited by rystills on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rystills

Re: Difference between Newton and CNewton

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 am

CNewton is an old wrapper for cpp that I tried to write for people that claim the rejected the engine because was not cpp.
Later I discovered that was just an extra excused.
I developed for a while but since almost not one showed interest, I stopped development and Is omle updated when a change in the core library make it fali compilation.
Last time it was use was as the model for the Unity plug in.

The play controller has been revamped, I am not sure if it will work.
I do not have any repro test that uses the CNewton wrapper.
If you want to use it, I can try fix the problems you find with it but is should work.

The current player controller is the one in the sandbox, there are three version with different level of complexities. You can check basic or Animated. They are very straightforward to use.
Julio Jerez

Re: Difference between Newton and CNewton

Postby rystills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense. In my case, wrapping the regular C engine is quite convenient, so I'll stick with Newton over CNewton.

As you mentioned, the basic player controller (applications\demosSandbox\sdkDemos\demos\BasicPlayerController.cpp) looks like a good place to start, so I'll read through that and begin messing with it in the near future.
rystills

Return to General Discussion