Joints

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Joints

Postby anothertime12 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi,

I've seen comments that NewtonConstraintCreateBall and it's ilk are deprecated and don't work anymore and that I need to use the custom joint library.

I'm a bit confused as to how best to handle this (coming from an older newton version which wasn't split into a dozen separate libraries).

Is it correct that these functions don't work and simply return dummy objects? NewtonConstraintCreateBall actually returns a pointer whereas the compiler says that _CreateCustomBallAndSocket doesn't exist in the newton library.

It seems like overkill to build and involvedditional libraries (dCustomJoints, dMath etc) and define callbacks and additional data for what would appear to be a built in ability?
anothertime12

Re: Joints

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:12 pm

use the custom joint library. if you are using cmake, all the library are set.
Julio Jerez

Postby anothertime12 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:39 pm

So these functions actually don't do anything? Or are they just limited compared to the alternative?
anothertime12

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:55 pm

They has not been maintened in many years and there is no plan to activate them.
Julio Jerez

Postby anothertime12 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Is there a list somewhere of functions to steer away from?

It's quite concerning to learn that core functionality exposed in the main header for the library has functions like that which are just 'abandoned' and we should instead include 3 other libraries.

If I wanted to implement simple joints myself can I use 'NewtonConstraintCreateUserJoint'? I just basically want to have a platform which tilts. Are we forced to use the joint library or is it still possible to create user defined joints?

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere but every single tutorial I've found so far is for outdated version of the engine or version 'archimeda' which no longer work / compile.
anothertime12

Postby Dave Gravel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:16 pm

If you take a look in the dCustomJoint lib you can find the joint base class in dCustomJoint.h
You can use this base for write your how joint class based on it.
The dCustomJoint Lib have many joint exemples for show how use or implement it.
Or you can use directly the joints in coming from the dCustomJoint lib without rewrite your how custom class.
It make life more easier.
I use a mix of both methods here and it working good.
You search a nice physics solution, if you can read this message you're at the good place :wink:
OrionX3D Projects & Demos:
https://orionx3d.sytes.net
https://www.facebook.com/dave.gravel1
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvadLevarg/videos
Dave Gravel

Postby anothertime12 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:17 am

thanks dave, that's a good call - I'll look at building a rudimentary joint myself rather than going overkill on the full thing.

In terms of tutorials is there an official/proper set somewhere? I really believe the lack of documentation/examples is responsible for more people not using Newton.
anothertime12

Return to General Discussion