luvit + newton

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

luvit + newton

Postby dlannan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:08 am

After spending over five weeks trying to work with the new bullet3 CAPI I gave up. I was going nowhere very quickly and burning lots of hours doing it.

I switched to Newton last Saturday and wow. Its awesome. For a physics engine, it is very underrated and considering you have so much documentation and examples, it surprises me people use bullet so heavily. Anyway.. Im a convert (mainly because I can DO things now).

So I thought Id share my current setup and progress here.
Its luajit + luvit + newton - It is a luajit system with full web capabilities in Lua (think Lua based NodeJS) :)
https://github.com/dlannan/luvit-newton

Test1.lua is a very simple ball and surface.
Test2.lua is a little more complex use of the buoyancy example newton provides.

Note: I built my own little simple renderer, mainly because it was quite easy to do and I dont mind playing around with 3d :)

Feel free to play around and hassle me if you are having problems with it. Its primarily Win10 at the moment, but I'll be building an Ubuntu version sometime this week.

I'll be dropping updates in this thread too, as it matures. Thanks again to the developers of Newton. It has provided me with a great way forward and will help develop a much larger system down the track.
screenshot01.png
screenshot01.png (4.21 KiB) Viewed 8403 times
dlannan

Re: luvit + newton

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am

dlannan wrote:I switched to Newton last Saturday and wow. Its awesome. For a physics engine, it is very underrated and considering you have so much documentation and examples, it surprises me people use bullet so heavily. Anyway.. Im a convert (mainly because I can DO things now).

Thanks you, it is a narrative that has been created for many years around the engine that has more to do with my persona than with the engine.

The goal was to prevent people from even taking a look at the engine and rather assume will be bad. It worked, most people make comments about newton without even looking at the engine and assuming the engine will be inferior until out of desperation and frustration with stuff that do not really work on those libraries they try Newton and they start to change the opinion about it.

Be prepared for a avalanche of haters and self appointed experts that will chastised you for getting out of the reservation and try Newton.

Users of the engine are mocked, redicules and dismissed offhand as ignorant or fanboys for even saying they are considering using the library.

Anyway I am glad you get the result you where looking four.
Julio Jerez

Postby dlannan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Appreciate the response. I have been in simulation/games/modelling for 20+ yrs now and one think I have a fairly good feel for is middle-ware :) I used to use bullet back in 2009/2010.. and its interface was quite good then, but after my recent experience and the lack of assistance on the forums (I posted around 8 or 9 times over 5 weeks with no responses) I find newton utterly refreshing.

I managed to get two hulls working with motors in the buoyancy example last night. So I hope to have my boat finished by the end of the week. Thanks again. And I'll share as much as I can to help out where I can.

Just a note. This is working towards a bigger system for ML/DL sensor analysis and camera analysis which I'll post here in the near future. Newton will feature as the key physics controller for specific entities (boats, cars, drones and some other stuff). :)

http://www.saldo.com.au/ <plug>
dlannan

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:47 pm

Oh so you are into machine learning stuff, that's awesome. :D
Or did I get that wrong? what is ML/LD. ?
Julio Jerez

Postby dlannan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:25 am

Yes. Machine Learning / Deep Learning - using python + TensorFlow and a few other std packages (previously used Torch too - may end up using it). Also looking at Yolov too.. should work well with our system. I hope to have something demonstrable by the weekend.
dlannan

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:00 pm

very nice, I am looking forward to see what you come up with.
I would not mind to even add a demo that shows some deep learnig functionality.

in the engine there is a demo of a six legged creature, that I do not know if you saw it,
I would love to see those walking insert some smart AI. :mrgreen:
Julio Jerez

Postby dlannan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:04 pm

That sounds interesting. The current focus is on sensor analysis - we will have a boat that has a bunch of sensors on it that will need to navigate a course using ML/DL. I generally dont like to call it AI, because its not :) I will also (later - few weeks away) be looking at adding ROS - which will definitely be good to map into something like the spider.

I think too, at that time, I will probably examine making a URDF loader for newton using the open source xml parser. With ROS and URDF you will be able to a wide range of simulated robotics.
Anyway, lots to do. Boat is nearly complete. Friday I hope to test it in the system.
dlannan

Postby dlannan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:23 am

Some great progress. Boat is nearly finished - work is getting in the way. If you happen to be at LandForces in Adelaide.. PM me. I'm there this week :)
Heres the boat (without running the water buoyancy.
screenshot3.png
screenshot3.png (5.08 KiB) Viewed 8301 times

Still sorting out hinges and motors. Going well though.
dlannan

Postby dlannan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Just an update. Work has gotten in the way - new job, and a bunch of big docs to write. Will be back on this within a week. So far - LOVE newton. Its great fun.
dlannan

Postby JernejL » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 am

This looks great, the setup with lua would be suitable for really fast prototyping too?
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby dlannan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:35 am

Yes. You can setup and run a newton physics sample really quickly (thats what I was trying to do with bullet, but ran into so many issues with the API). Newtons API has been great - I have been away for a couple of weeks due to work, but now Im back again and happy to say the boat (twin hull with a platform in the middle) is working.
screenshot4.png
screenshot4.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 8248 times

If you click left mouse button it will add force on the left side motor and right mouse with add force on the right side motor. Its very rudimentary at the moment. The buoyancy I need to clean up, and the motion needs to include some "waves" or similar (which I will attempt later). But its decent enough.

Stay tuned. I'll be doing more samples and putting them up on github for people to try out their own ideas. I'll hopefully have a car with suspension in the coming weeks.
Note: This toolkit has complete web capability too, so you can use quite interesting toolkits with it :) For machine learning there is Torch, for UI you can use Gwen or many others, or serve results out to a webpage :)
dlannan

Postby dlannan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 am

For something different I knocked up this sample in a couple of hours.
Ball vs BrickWall :)

screenshot05.png
screenshot05.png (8.3 KiB) Viewed 8236 times

I'll add a few more samples as well as a vehicle over the coming days.
dlannan

Postby dlannan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 am

To show how quick and easy it is to use. I made a new sample since the last post. Its a simple bowling example (slight adjustment of the brickwall).

screenshot06.png
screenshot06.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 8236 times

Will add things like chains, bridges, and vehicles over the coming weeks. Feel free to build your own - I'll be making the renderer a little better too (hopefully using Googles Filament renderer).
Cheers.
dlannan

Return to General Discussion