Unity 3D ECS

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Unity 3D ECS

Postby uromastix87 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:11 am

Hello, I'm really interested in Newton Dynamics and recently used the Unity plugin by svenberra.

I'm curious if there has been any research done about Unity's new ECS feature and integrating Newton Dynamics into that.

There was a recent forum post about creating physics in ECS on Unity's forum here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/physics ... cs.531716/
PhilSA seemed to get some headway.

Unity is aiming for floating point determinism. Could that help with parallelism?
https://forum.unity.com/threads/burst-c ... st-3493121
uromastix87

Re: Unity 3D ECS

Postby uromastix87 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Is anyone interested in working on this? I managed to get an ECS component to compile with the Newton dll in .Net 4.71 on Unity 2018.1.4f1. I'm going to see where I get on my own, but I'm inexperienced.
uromastix87

Postby Sweenie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:23 am

I'm not very experienced with multithreading etc but i guess ECS could be used to update the physics transforms of the gameobjects which i guess could improve performance with lots of bodies. Other than that i'm not sure how ECS could improve Newton performance since Newton is handling it's own multithreading and now also parallell solvers. Unless you mean Newton would be ported to C# :wink:
Sweenie

Postby uromastix87 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Yeah, I realize now that was a silly thing to say, but if you want to design a Unity game using ECS I'm fairly certain you cannot use Newton Dynamics because you cannot use Monobehaviors.

I started trying to implement a system to update the transforms of entities, but the ComponentData that makes up each entity must be Blittable. So, you cannot simply attach a NewtonBody to an entity and update it like that. I'm going to keep exploring ECS outside of Newton Dynamics and see if I can revisit it later.

In the meantime, I'd love it if a pro could take a crack at it! I think ECS and Newton Dynamics would be untouchable if they worked together!
uromastix87

Return to General Discussion