Commit "* mac OSX is *"

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

Commit "* mac OSX is *"

Postby zak » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Last commit "* mac OSX is *" in dgTypes.cpp i reads:

#if (defined (_MSC_VER) && defined (_MSC_VER))

is there an error?
zak

Re: Commit "* mac OSX is *"

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 pm

On my mac I got an update notification asking me to update to "OSX El Capitan"
this update the OSD and xcode.
the Apple decide to abandoned support for Quicktime and only support for IPhone.
The causes wxWidget to fail every where.

I Ignore to see if there was a quick time package but I could not find it anywhere.
This is no the fist time Apples does that to they users, the did it with the G5 *, for wit I spend 25 hundred, and now there are doing again.
Some how the Drones who keep supporting apple do not seem to have problem with that kind of shenanigans.

yes the OSX build doe no works, for people using the latest El Capitan and latest xcode.
The also changed some std supports like contollfp they now want people to use OSX system calls.
It is all bull *.
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:20 pm

if you have experience with OSX El Capitan and you can figure out how to make it compile, help is appreciated, but I am sick and tired of chasing apple every time they change the stupid OS

last time the did that was when they changed Objective C from reference counted to be java style garbage collection. That's a nice change but it forced people to make major changes to existing apps.
as a result people simple abandoned objective C.

I do not like Apple approach to development at all, they are too big to fail now.
Julio Jerez

Postby zak » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:39 am

Unfortunately I have not experience with OSX El Capitan.
Wath i mean is that there is an error in the line

#if (defined (_MSC_VER) && defined (_MSC_VER))

where _MSC_VER is repeated 2 times.
zak

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:04 am

That error came about because of OSX el Capitan fiasco. That file was in the header and was building fine, but after the update, is started to give compiler errors with xcode.
Since the code has to be OS dependent I moved to the .cpp file and that's when the error happened.
sorry about that.

Thank for the notice.
It is fixed now.
Julio Jerez

Postby JoeJ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:The causes wxWidget to fail every where.

If you ever consider to change GUI again, take a look at https://github.com/ocornut/imgui
It renders in the 3D viewport, so totally independent from OS, and it's just 3 files.
You just need to implement some callbacks to render a triangle and to submit mouse and keyboard data.
Also, anywhere in code you can implement a user interface to change a number or just output some text - great for debugging.

Downside is, if you have only 1 FPS like me :) GUI becomes laggy too.
JoeJ

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:53 pm

JoeJ wrote:https://github.com/ocornut/imgui
Downside is, if you have only 1 FPS like me :) GUI becomes laggy too.

actually I will take a look, I have been l9okking for a GUI for a while. GLUT is ok but the last version I try has some big limitation so I decide to change.

I really wxwidge but, it is too big and complex for the demos. Many people think it is part of the engine when it is not.
plus I am afraid that with the flexibility of C# there is no really need to have their party C++ base GUI.
I will try out this gui and if it ok I will definitely replace wxWidget. Thank you for the tip.
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:17 pm

Joe, I downloaded and test it. Amazing!!
I am definitely change everything to use this library.

I have been looking for something like this for, I think, more than 15 years now.
The closet I'd seen is GLUT, but gLUT has some severe short cummings.
I will start the migration immediately.
This will cut the size of the download but more than 95% I believe.

Thank you so much!.
Julio Jerez

Postby JoeJ » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:04 am

:)
Tip: Set ImGuiInputTextFlags_EnterReturnsTrue as extra_flag when creating a text input.
Default bahaviour is: User enters '123', your app receives 1, then 12, then 123.
With the flag app recieves only 123 after user has pressed the enter key.
JoeJ

Postby XycsoscyX » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:53 am

I recently switched to Dear ImGui in my own engine and have been happy with it so far. It's definitely a bit of a head trip switching from retained mode GUIs to an immediate mode one, but other than the initial shock it's pretty nice. I was using Sciter (and Awesomeium before that) to do HTML GUI, but never really liked it for numerous reasons.

I'd also recommend ImGuizmo on top of ImGui:
https://github.com/CedricGuillemet/ImGuizmo

It's a transform/rotation/scale gizmo that you can just drop in over Dear ImGui (which really needs a better name). Really helps for controlling single objects in the scene. :)
XycsoscyX

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:06 am

I agree this gui is small, but is pack a punch. :mrgreen:
I started the migration, and so far it has been a very smooth transition.
To me this GUI is far more powerful that wxwidget.
this will allow me to remove three third party libraries: wxWidget, freetype-2.4.0 and glew

for what I can see now I can complete some of the tools that I never finish because of the huge task that is dealing with WxWidget.
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:26 am

I now successfully ported the demos to this imGui, most demo are running find, but I commented out many IO functionality in order to get them all in.

It amassing how fast and small it is. the new exe is 1.5 while the old is 4.5 that's 3 meg difference form using wxWidget, Glew and Freetype.

now I will complete part of the IO whi is just figure out how to get the info from the context.

Then I will do the xcode project, but for the on my max I have to order a hard copy version of osx 10.7 lion.
the Max refuses to reverse back to the older version even is I reinstall from the scratch

I truly, truly despise Apple, they have they have not respect for the customer. Once you move up on an OS the only way to get rid of it is by buying a new Drive, and that is not right.

some how they think that when a person buy a computer, they are only renting it to that person,
* Apple I hope they go bankrupt. why people keep buy product made by slave labor in swept shops is beyond me.
Julio Jerez

Postby Stucuk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:47 am

Julio Jerez wrote:I truly, truly despise Apple, they have not respect for the customer. Once you move up on eh OS the only way to get rid of it is by buying a new Drive, and that is no right.

some how they think that when a person buy a computer, they are only renting it to that person,
* Apple I hope the go bankrupt. whey people keep buy product made by slave labor in swept shops is beyond me.

Apple have always been an evil company that gives closed, limited and overpriced products. Microsoft can only dream about being as evil as apple (Since IBM based PC's are not a closed system dominated by their will. Windows 10 take up figures shows they can't force their will on people)
Stucuk

Return to Bugs and Fixes