Run simulation forward and then back...

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Run simulation forward and then back...

Postby Dr_D » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Hey guys. Long time no see. Looks like a lot has happened around here! :mrgreen:

I'm making a mini golf game and I'm looking for advice. The game is like a really advanced version of Kirby's Dream Course. What I want to do, is run the simulation forward to retrieve data for a spline that I'm going to use as a visual representation of what will happen. I don't want to go too far ahead... just far enough so the player will have a rough idea of what the ball is going to do. I'm not sure about making a copy of the world somehow and running that copy forward... or if that's even possible. Anyway, if anyone has done anything like this or if you have any ideas on how I might accomplish it I'd love to hear them. :)

Edit:
Here's a video in case it isn't clear what I'm trying to do. You'll see when I go to launch the ball there are some arrows that travel along a spline and a target marker at the end. I'd like to get a bit of information from the future to make that spline change directions and such whenever a wall is hit or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZIWh54lgDM
Dr_D

Return to General Discussion