The Newton engine is now Open source with a zlib license.

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: The Newton engine is now Open source with a zlib license

Postby Overhertz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm

i only am compiling the newton dll, i use custom game engine, uses irrlicht for rendering. i dont even know the the scenelib is :)

EDIT: with a few small changes, i now have 15,000 falling cubes.... at 50FPS...
Ziron Programming Language
Download the Assembler HERE
Overhertz

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 pm

So Overhertz,
tell me what do you say about netwon going open source now? do you still have the same opinion that you had in this topic?

Overhertz wrote:duno about others, but i liked the fact it is closed source, i dont need to go through svn, i dont need to compile every time a new version is released, i know there is only 1 version of the same project, i know the code will be done properly and works correctly, 1 of the biggest reasons i dont like open source is too many people will now create many different versions, they will submit many different functions that will no longer have a c interface and numerous other things. There will also be alot of things will be left unfinished by other people, things submitted, but never finished, kind of like the bullet physics lib, many things are left unfinished, it's not so bad since they can be finished by others, but then it starts to become bloated

I guess it is not really a bad thing, just i hope you will still be released compiled dll of Newton, i checked the download, but no dll included..... :)
Julio Jerez

Postby Overhertz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:13 pm

well, i don't know, i still liked the fact that it was closed source, but i guess the fact now i can also add some extra functionality makes it kind of great.... so no i guess not :-p

thanks also for a great physics lib :)))) btw did you get your PM ?
Overhertz

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:37 pm

I have, however the idea you propose will be a functionality of 3.00

Like Delfy say and proper object oriented class will add that functionality quiet ease, the problem is the with a C interface I could no provide that functionality before.
Now the engine is open source if is quiet eassy to has a function that can add and remove and body for the Master list,
basically it will be like this
Code: Select all
class MyBody: public body
{

virtual  void dgBody::ApplyExtenalForces (dgFloat32 timestep, dgInt32 threadIndex)
   {
      //do what you want
   }
   dgVector constForce:
};

// this funtion call a make a call back
body = new MyBody(collision, matrix)
Body = NewtonAddOrphanBody (body);

Bu for that I have to make all teh funtion in dgBody virtual, now they are not.

I whan to do that because in 3.0 teh scene collision will be deprcated, and it will rpelace teh Broadhace, then the base class of teh Bopdy will not be a teh RiGIDFTY Body it will be and teh Proxy that is use fo rteh Scene collision.
then tshi way we can Have Goes object, that cna be use as trigers in teh game with very liteh impact in teh preformance.

If you look at 3.00 I started the work already, by moving the Scene collision to be the main BroadPhace and it is about twice as fast as the Multireasolution trees.

for now we have to let 2.00 as it it, and only focus on bug and missing funtionality.
Julio Jerez

Postby Overhertz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:42 pm

so will it remove the need to call a function each update for gravity, and remove the need for a callback? also delfy is thinking only of OOP, many programmers do not like OOP style, i also prefere not to use when possible, if i write a program in assembly for example....
Overhertz

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:46 pm

the function ApplyExternalforce is call, it is not?
the you it will simply do this:

Code: Select all
void MyBody::ApplyExtenalForces (dgFloat32 timestep, dgInt32 threadIndex)
{
     m_alpha = dgVector (dgFloat32 (0.0f), dgFloat32 (0.0f), dgFloat32 (0.0f), dgFloat32 (0.0f));

//Colin Stewart - 16.02.2011
    accel = m_contForce;

}
Julio Jerez

Postby Overhertz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm

yes but in the current newton 2.31 the applyexternalforce is an INTERNAL call inside of newton, the point is for example a callback to a procedure in an external application is 1 extra jmp. i do not use classes for most of my stuff, so i could not use such class ^

again... if someone is writing an application in MASM, they can not use a c++ class.... infact they can not use a class full stop.

if they write a program in delphi, they also can not use a c++ class.... (maybe i misunderstand your point), my whole point really is the c interface is most important, personally i dislike c++, however i like c, many people will want to use Newton without the need to compiling it to add custom functionality. (this is the exact reason i hate open-source projects - the c interface will eventually be neglected)

note also your procedures AddForce and SetForce are inline, so they suffer no performance loss really.....
Overhertz

Postby PJani » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm

@Julio: i have an idea for this contact multisampling, what if contact multisampling could be enabled or disabled for each body instead just for vehicle tires body?
| i7-5930k@4.2Ghz, EVGA 980Ti FTW, 32GB RAM@3000 |
| Dell XPS 13 9370, i7-8550U, 16GB RAM |
| Ogre 1.7.4 | VC++ 9 | custom OgreNewt, Newton 300 |
| C/C++, C# |
PJani

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Yes that that is actually a good idead, the engine does i already, iof you look at teh code in trh solve that detect when the spedd in so fact that contact prediation is liklly to fail, teh isalnd is selcte fo sub sampling.
This is what the old Car Joint used to used, so to add tha funtionality all we nee to do is add a bit to teh Body tha force to mutisampl teh complete island.
But like I say I need some time to get to the point when all the platform and the archive is up to day, theye are still few thing I am missing.
Julio Jerez

Postby thedmd » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Julio, are you going to abandon Newton C interface?
If user do really need object oriented approach and classes, he/she should define them on top of C interface. If interface do not allow to encapsulate some objects, it should be the subject to change.
IMHO it is good to know what is happening under the hood, but it is better to push gas pedal than pull a wire connected to carburetor. : )
"God started from scratch too"
thedmd

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:36 pm

thedmd wrote:Julio, are you going to abandon Newton C interface?

No I am not, I am just mentioning some of the thing that I am palnning for 3.00

Basically the Body will be a sub class similat to what Collision sheps are.
The will allow for teh engien to handel different type of objects like Trirggers whic now have a very awark interface, of use defined objects.
but everthing will be trough the C inteface.

The end user can do what the like.
Julio Jerez

Postby Stucuk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 am

From what i can tell, the only thing Julio will do different now that Newton is Open Source is that he won't try and make it compatible with every OS on the planet and just focus on the Windows version, allowing others in the community to do the ports for him so he can then focus more on the core engine.
Stucuk

Postby thedmd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 am

Thanks for the clarification.
"God started from scratch too"
thedmd

Postby JernejL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 am

The plain-C interface and precompiled libraries are still very important for many of us.

A lot of people use newton just because it's so easy to interface it with different languages, for example a c++ class directly isn't useable directly in pascal, python, etc..
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 am

Stucuk wrote:From what i can tell, the only thing Julio will do different now that Newton is Open Source is that he won't try and make it compatible with every OS on the planet and just focus on the Windows version, allowing others in the community to do the ports for him so he can then focus more on the core engine.

yes, that is exactly the puporse.

The compiled dll will still be there, teh C inteface will still be there,
there will not be many falvour of stati librarie sliek is use to, only two the one realease static mitithreaded.
any one using Netwon DLL still will be able to use the exact same way, any one usin Newon as static library can just add teh library as a dependency.
I hope that clear the confusions.

the 2.31 download did not have teh binaruy libraies beacuse is was a mistake, bu that is not teh only mistake in the download ther are also other project that are icompleted
I am fix them, an dI hope that it will all be statble in the next upload.
Julio Jerez

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion