Newton SDK WIKI created

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Newton SDK WIKI created

Postby yan007 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:44 am

Ok, the porting page is indeed what I meant (just thought there were a lot more changes)

The reason why i would separate the features is so people can easily retrieve information depending on the version they are using,
hope to see the different vehicle joints information updated in the future ..
yan007

Postby JernejL » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:58 am

1.53 is a unsupported version now. It was released in 2006 and is is 4 years old.
2.xx releases are currently the most efficient and stable versions availible.
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Stucuk » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:48 am

1.53 has alot of bugs that are fixed in 2.0 . So its not a good idea to have 1.53 information on the Wiki as 1.53 shouldn't be promoted.
Stucuk

Postby yan007 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:54 am

found a small bug in "List of all newton functions in 2.0": method "NewtonCreateBox" is missing its shapeID argument
can someone update this ..
yan007

Postby kallaspriit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Please feel free to fix this mistake, that's the whole point of a wiki :)
kallaspriit

Postby JernejL » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:43 pm

Anything to do with performanceclock is related to viewing performance graphs & identifying bottlenecks of physics simulation within your engine, it is nothing needed for normal operation.
JernejL

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Parameter 3 is the tolerance that will be use to construct the convex hull shape,
Parameter 4 is the id of the collision shape.

Parameter 3 is very important for tuning the performance of the engine.
Must people ignore it and always se 0, and that generate convex hull with more vertices than it may be necessary.
The convex hull routine in Newton is no like most convex hull routine use be other engines or by public domain algorithm like qhull, which generate an approximate of the convex hull.

Newton always generates an exact convex hull of the input data, I mean absolute exact hull with zero error.
This accuracy sometime works to degrade the performance of the engine because if the shape has too many vertices then the collision takes longer to converge to the solution.
That is where the third parameter comes in handy, it lets you adjust the accuracy of the collision shape generated by the algorithm

Before it was difficult for me to explaining this but now that I have the editor, I can take screen shots to explain it better.
Here is a shot of a relatively complex mesh and its exact convex hull shape
NewtonCollision* collision = NewtonCreateConvexHullFromMesh (m_newton, meshInfo->GetMesh(), 0.0f, 0);

Here is the same collision shape using, a 1% tolerance
NewtonCollision* collision = NewtonCreateConvexHullFromMesh (m_newton, meshInfo->GetMesh(), 0.01f, 0);

As you can see the collision shape have way fewer vertices than the exact one while it is almost identical.
The second shape is about 3 to for time faster in the collision than the first one.
Julio Jerez

Postby palmer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:10 pm

It seems the wiki is getting spammed a bit. I was bold and erased the text in the spammed "articles"(not much more I can do), but I'm not sure how much it helps. I was mostly annoyed with the spam because it screws up the list of recent changes, but my erasing the text shows up there too, so it doesn't really help. And they still show up in the list of all articles. Is it OK to move the spam articles, giving them a title starting with SPAM so they're nicely sorted in their own section in the list of all articles until they are deleted?
palmer

Postby JernejL » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:34 am

Ok, i went and nuked the spam there now.

we run a ancient copy of mediawiki.. there's little protection against spammers.
JernejL

Postby d.l.i.w » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 am

Just added template delete in WIKI, please delete these pages:
http://newtondynamics.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Special:Whatlinkshere/Template:Delete

but not the template please ;-)
d.l.i.w

Postby JernejL » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

d.l.i.w: thanks for helping, i was deleting all those pages for a while now, and i finally went and upgraded mediawiki to latest version and added recaptcha - this should stop the spammers for a short time at least.
JernejL

Postby d.l.i.w » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:24 am

unfortunately only for a day, again there are many spam pages

btw. made "delete" template more general
d.l.i.w

Postby Stucuk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:27 am

For best results a custom anti-spam measure needs to be used if you want spam to be reduced. Also TitleBlacklist extension can help as you can ban usernames/page titles based on if they contain a set of characters. Basicaly you install the extention then make a page like This.
Stucuk

Postby JernejL » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 pm

That extension looks good, i already put on the new confirmedit and everything else - but for now i just blocked all account creation, it seems like mediawiki lacks even proper rangeban functionality by default, i don't get it how wikipedia can even function on mediawiki..
JernejL

Postby Stucuk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:52 am

Either do i. They have the TitleBlacklist extension installed but don't seem to really use it. I assume they only survive because they have bots which detect vandalism and remove it as well as alot of people who can revert the changes. Id defanatly recommend TitleBlacklist, it doesn't prevent it people from registering and spamming, but it will prevent them from making usernames which contain words they have used in the past, iv had quite alot of the bots that register on Atlantica Online Wiki use names which contain words of the product there advertising (Like Phone, Insurance, etc), so quite a few like to stupidly use names like that. Iv also had some where they say have the name Bob but with different numbers after it.
Stucuk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion