Newton videos on youtube (beware: flash video heavy topic)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Re: Newton videos on youtube (beware: flash video heavy topic)

Postby JernejL » Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 am

Beautiful as always, now add a winch to the tractor and drag a bunch of logs around the map :D
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Stucuk » Mon May 31, 2010 5:55 am

Whats missing is the guy crashing the tractor into things like Vans, etc to show what happens when you crash.
Stucuk

Postby Leadwerks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:13 pm

As soon as soft bodies are added, we can make all trees breakable. :twisted:

With hard physics, it would look pretty funny when a pine tree fell over and tiny branches supported the weight of the trunk.
Leadwerks

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:31 pm

I am working on a editor, for the interface of Soft Body and all other content creation.

The engine is at a point that it become harder and hader to add a new feature withoput a way to bisualize the assets.

Plus most users have a hard time undertanding demos, no matter hwo simpel they are,
and if you make demos are too simple then they do not think that engine is featired enought for a project.
This is why I am taking a detour and putting time into a General Content Creation tool.
Julio Jerez

Postby Leadwerks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm

I have tools that convert .obj files into Newton serialized format. Would that be any help?
Leadwerks

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:10 pm

No really, because serialized data is not general enough for what I have in mind.
In a nut shell what I have in mind is in moving Newton from procedural driven Physics modeling to Visual driven Physics modeling.
As is stand now, It takes too much work and skillful programmers to make useful physics modeling with Newton.
For people like You, Walaber, Dave Gravel, Sascha, Penumbra team, and few other that escape my mind now, modeling with the engine is not as challenging as it is for other people.
Most people after they pass the phase of making a standard Boxes, Spheres and Convex, they get stocked in limbo.
However many people do have a lot of creative talent but they cannot exploit because all the work it takes to implement what they want to do.
My idea is to create a format for a Physics modeling that is independent from the Physics engine.
it is like a Blueprint of a Physics model that includes place holder for Graphics, the rigid bodies, collision, and everything else needed to make the model.
The model will be saved to a XML format, so that anyone can recreate the Physic model by just parsing the format.
Or using a library that will allow to load the Physics model.

There will a Physics editor, which the Skeleton is already in 2.21 SDK, that twill be used to do the Modeling visually.
At first I thought of using 3dSMax, or Blender Plug-in, but Max is too expensive, and blender does not allow third party plug-in unless they are all written in Python.
I also thought of using Collada for the format but there are huge short corming in the Collada specifications.
so Collada will be used for importing and exporting assets to other modeling tools like Max, Maya, Blender, or others.

I have being writing many of the components for this tool already, the NewtonMesh, the dAnimation, the Collada Import/expert. Now its time to put them together.

My goal is to have a way for user to create high quality content, for their Games or Projects, and avoid many of the errors that keeps
happening over and over when each Physic constraction have to be created by manually by writing code.
When a person can make a model visually they can debug it visually.
Julio Jerez

Postby Leadwerks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:14 pm

That seems like a good approach. My advice as someone who has designed several 3D visual editors is to get it in the hands of some artists for testing ASAP, because a work flow you think makes sense won't be the same as what an artist wants.
Leadwerks

Postby Stucuk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 pm

If the editor isn't going to be open source you should add a good plugin system that allows developers access to most of its internals. The main flaw with most editors is that they lack decent plugin support. Tho even if it was open source, a good plugin system would still be good.
Stucuk

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Oh it is all open source. All the code so far is in the SDK.
Julio Jerez

Postby Leadwerks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:41 pm

My experiences also cause me to recommend against a plugin system. The more opportunities you give the user to screw things up, the more support problems you will have.
Leadwerks

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

well we are far from the the point of Plug in stuff, but since PLUG in is arcjteture is just a patter compling teh base classes with DLL export, and have a DLL runtimetiome loading.
But hat still too far, now I need to focus in addin the basi funtionality. and also resulting some corss platform compatibility issues I have with WXWidget in Mac and Linux.
I have the basic Framework of the inerface already,

it is in fordel NewtonWin-2.21\toolchain\newtonEdit\x64\ne.exe
you guy can try and and tell me what you thonk.
That was waht I was asking for Icon a while back but I have no takers. so I made those tmp one with VS icons editor.
Julio Jerez

Postby Stucuk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Leadwerks wrote:My experiences also cause me to recommend against a plugin system. The more opportunities you give the user to screw things up, the more support problems you will have.

Not having a plugin system then means everyone needs to have C++ experience to be able to add what they want. There technically wouldn't be more support problems, as if people couldn't make a plugin they would try to modify the actual source code, which could lead to far more support problems (As it would be more code they could screw up).
Stucuk

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:47 pm

we will find solutions to those essues down the line. For nwo the framework in in his infacy.

At the very lest an import/export Plug inteface is useful for anyone who wants to use it as base editor to expsrt constome content to thei engines.
Julio Jerez

Postby Leadwerks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 am

Check out the physics on the office chair. This is why I love Newton:
Leadwerks

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm

The Goldilocks of physics not too much and bad, not too little and slow, just the right amount 8)

Man the visual effetc is awesome, are those 2d light effett, it looks like the scene is seem on an older Monitor.
Is this part of a game or it is a tech demo?
Julio Jerez

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery