Ray-cast tire

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Ray-cast tire

Postby kallaspriit » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Hey! I am still wondering about ways I could improve my vehicle made out of joints and what I would like to propose is ray-cast tires. Instead of applying tire and suspension forces directly to the chassis of the vehicle, how about applying them to wheel rims instead. So the ray would be cast down from the bottom of the rim, with the distance of tire height. The forces would be calculated (some sort of spring-damper system) depending on how much the tire is compressed from normal height and this could nicely simulate the softness-compressibility of the tire. This would allow to mix the best of the jointed-vehicle and raycast models. If we added similar horizontal spring system, this could simulate the sidewall softness. Also since this system would not use NGD friction system directly, a tire model (like Pacejka) could be used to calculate the forces.

Diagram:
test.png
test.png (176.35 KiB) Viewed 2561 times

An example of what a real tire can do:

What do you think about this idea? I would especially like to know from Julio how possible-hard-impossible would it be to implement such system using NGD :P
kallaspriit

Return to General Discussion