Penumbra

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Penumbra

Postby Leadwerks » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 am

Does anyone know how they made the object carrying so stable in Penumbra? When you walk up to a wall and press the held object against the wall, it doesn't jitter and go through the wall like it does in my attempt. My objects are laggier when you turn than Penumbra's, yet they are still passing through walls very easily.
Leadwerks

Re: Penumbra

Postby Yezide » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:37 pm

I just spent alot of time fine tuning a set up of springs and pid controllers :)

There is no real magic going on, even though pid controllers sometimes seem to do magic :P

Edit: Another trick to get things stable is to move the object in two steps: First use a force or torque to change velocity and then secondly change the goal velocity to get to the wanted goal. This give quite stable results, especially when rotating.
Yezide

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Yeside take a look and teh CustomPickJoint.
It is very basic now but have a lot of potencial, and you do not have to tweak that meny parameter regarless of the pick point or the mass pof the body.
It can rotate bodies, you cna align bodies by using collision wit the envirment.

The tunning time is what I hate the must about PID setups.
the one thing the Joint can do that is very hard to do with PID is that if can handle non linear configurations. I will make and exmpel of that.

for example is can be set to high reponse when moving free, but is can be set to be very gentle with placing a body over a delicate arrenge of bodies.
Julio Jerez

Postby Yezide » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Sounds cool! Will give it a shot after I fixed some other stuff.
Yezide

Return to General Discussion