Vehicle Joint use

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Vehicle Joint use

Postby frankk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi,

We chose to use the Newton Physics engine in our final school project. The game is a car game and we use DirectX 9. I converted all the calls to OpenGL in order to integrate Newton with DX to implement a simple sandbox with a few shapes that collide. However, we're having a really hard time to simulate a car using the special car joint. I have read and re-read the sample 9 in the SDK called Simple Vehicle (which is not simple at all) and my vehicle does not correctly worked. After almost a week, I thought I had done something cuz my wheels stood at the right place and turned correctly with the steering. So, I tried to shoot some spheres at the car to see if it collided correctly and BOUM ! the wheels and the car body went in all directions. What I'm not sure about is the rigid body (is it the body or a bounding box to the whole vehicle?) and all the matrices involved and how to setup the joint correctly cuz it does not work. I searched down the net for a couple of hours but didn't find anything about it since the doc is really absent.

Could you help me please ? (and prove me i have made the good choice of choosing newton instead of another physics engine for our project ?)
frankk

Re: Vehicle Joint use

Postby agi_shi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Sounds like you're using 1.53. PM Julio on here and ask him to send you the 2.0 beta. It's much simpler to make a vehicle with it, and it is overall much faster and more robust than 1.53.
agi_shi

Postby frankk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks for the quick answer !
frankk

Postby rogermr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm in the same situation. I'm working with the sample 9 of NewtonSDK 1.53 but I have problems.
I searched some examples/samples in the NewtonSDK 2.0, but I could only find the RayCastVehicle sample and looks way more difficult.
And regarding CustomMultiBodyVehicle, there's no example on how to drive the vehicle or similar, so...
I just need the easiest implementation of a vehicle!
rogermr

Return to General Discussion