Creating a Powered Ragdoll Joint

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Creating a Powered Ragdoll Joint

Postby JtM » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:07 am

Hi, this is my first time posting here so please excuse any ignorance on my part.

I'm currently doing research on generating interesting behaviors for physically simulated avatars, such as humanoid bipeds. I've been building a rough prototype over the last few weeks using PyOgre and Newton. So far I've implemented a simple ragdoll class with support for custom powered hinge joints (ported from the Newton SDK demos). What I can't seem to get my head around is how to implement proper powered ball-socket joints (with support for limits). The SDK has an example of a cone-twist limited ball-socket joint, however this doesn't behave the same way as the native Newton version (it tends to be unstable and prone to snapping back).

I've searched quite extensively and haven't really found any solid examples. The only one I can think of is Walaber's aerial ski stunt prototype. If anyone is willing to share information on how to implement something similar I would be very grateful. As it stands I can't really move forward with my project until I have stable and robust powered joints. I will probably figure it out eventually, it would be great however if I could avoid all the pitfalls and mistakes I'm likely to make on my own.

Cheers,

-JtM
JtM

Re: Creating a Powered Ragdoll Joint

Postby Dave Gravel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:08 am

If i'm not wrong the last newton version have a good ragdoll exemple using a custom ball-socket.
Maybe you can request this version...
You search a nice physics solution, if you can read this message you're at the good place :wink:
OrionX3D Projects & Demos:
https://orionx3d.sytes.net
https://www.facebook.com/dave.gravel1
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvadLevarg/videos
Dave Gravel

Postby JtM » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:10 am

Do you mean the joint used internally for the ragdoll container? I just assumed that it used a standard ball-socket joint. If its custom then the code would be quite useful since the example in the Newton SDK doesn't seem to function properly (somewhat shakey and unstable compared to the internal version).

-JtM
JtM

Postby int13h » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:48 pm

I believe he is referring to the custom ragdoll joint in the newest newton 2 release (not 1.53). This one has a custom ball-socket joint with limits. Im pretty sure you can implement the same thing in 1.53 by just looking at that code. PM Julio Jerez for a copy of the latest beta.
int13h

Return to General Discussion