forum search nearly useless

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

forum search nearly useless

Postby Arcanor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:34 am

I'm getting an error whenever I try to search these forums for common physics term such as "collision", "damping", "constant speed", "velocity", "drag", "slowdown", etc. I get the following error message in reply:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: damping.

For example, I am working on a game of Pong, where a ball moves at constant speed and collides with walls, has angular velocity, etc. The problem is that the ball would immediately start to slow down, even if in mid-air. I've since figured out that I can use NewtonBodySetLinearDamping(m_body, 0.0f) to help make my ball act like a pong ball should (i.e. not slow down simply due to "air drag").

Is there anything that can be done to change this forum's search engine so that it doesn't exclude the very words that are most useful here on this physics-related forum? This makes it very difficult to find anything without having to search each page visual, which is the exact reason why forums have search boxes. ;)
Arcanoria - a SMORPG project - www.arcanoria.com
Arcanor

Re: forum search nearly useless

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am

we receintly pruned the forum leaving entry to teh last year.
Julio Jerez

Postby JernejL » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:19 am

I did rebuild a brand new fulltext search index for the forum today, try if that helps a bit..
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Arcanor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 am

Delfi wrote:I did rebuild a brand new fulltext search index for the forum today, try if that helps a bit..

Thanks Delfli, how can I access this? I'd really like to be able to use some sort of forum search more effectively.

I've just tried using the Search box at the top of this page, but I'm still getting the error as above, saying "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: damping." when I put in any physics terms like "collision", "damping", "velocity", etc.

Is there another way I can access your new fulltext search index?
Arcanor

Postby JernejL » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:22 am

It should work automaticly.. but you can use google to search the forums as well:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl ... tnG=Search
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Arcanor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Delfi wrote:It should work automaticly.. but you can use google to search the forums as well:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl ... tnG=Search

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

I was able to find 4 instances of the word "damping" in these forums using Google. However, that still leaves the question, if there were only 4 instances, then why is the forum search box giving me an error telling me the word "damping" is too common?

Do other people get the same result when they search for these words, like "damping", "collision", "velocity" using the forum search box? Or is it just me?
Arcanor

Postby nickersonm » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:19 pm

I get the same result when searching for "world size limit"; all the words are deemed too common.
nickersonm

Postby DarthGak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:57 pm

I have had the best results using Google and then looking at the "cached" version. Apparently all the old posts are gone from the searches here. Its too bad, it means all those questions are going to have to be answered again.
DarthGak

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 pm

I was trying to prone the data base to the last 300 days, but I do no knwo why or how is delete must of it.
Julio Jerez

Return to General Discussion