Design Changes

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Design Changes

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Andy Price wrote:Where you've said things like "the integration with Cal3d" it reads as newton is being directly integrated with cal3d but now you've explained more I see this isn't what you meant so you can ignore that.

I wrote a demo tha do implement cal3d rag dolls, Netwon animatiom will also integrate with cal3d.
Like I said as long as the system work by matriices, and bone, teh anilation systemcan be integrated.
Cal3d is moro ethe just animations, it also do skining and soem sort of spring system,
Netwpn will opnel do teh animation part.
The sknining and graphic rendereing is not a concern of the engine, but I do need to have a graphics system to demonstrate the feature and cal3d provides that.

also take it eassy with the post, not need to make direct attacks.
Julio Jerez

Postby Andy Price » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:41 am

Julio Jerez wrote:also take it eassy with the post, not need to make direct attacks.

I've been directly attacked on the last page and quite rudely treated so I feel I'm fair to defend myself, you should tell those who started rather than the person defending themselves.
Andy Price

Postby agi_shi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Rob and I are not "attacking" you, we're simply making suggestions. You say how we make assumptions about your code - well, did you explain anything about your code? From what you did explain, we're simply advising that you use a different, more standard approach.
agi_shi

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:11 pm

sometime it si better to just let things just go away. 8)
Julio Jerez

Postby Andy Price » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:57 am

I agree Julio, that's a very laid back approach and probably a good approach to a lot of problems in life and agi_shi, you both were really, after I'd said many times please don't criticise how I'm making my game. It's none of your business how I've designed my program and it's very arrogant to think I'm supposed to explain myself to you.

Julio - can I make a small suggestion here if you're still reading this thread? The function 'NewtonReleaseCollision' crashes if you pass NULL as the Collision. You could just say "Don't pass NULL" but, it'd be nice if Newton had an if(!CollisionPointer){return} just to avoid that behaviour and make Newton more robust. Also - you never got back to me about making a few tutorials in DirectX so, should I assume that's a not-interested?
Last edited by Andy Price on Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Price

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:59 am

Last time I used direct x was dx8, other than that I only test the demos people had send me when they are made with directx.
Julio Jerez

Postby agi_shi » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:43 am

Andy Price wrote:after I'd said many times please don't criticise how I'm making my game.

You're building a car with plastic tools, we're merely suggesting that you should use metal ones.
it's very arrogant to think I'm supposed to explain myself to you.

Remember that you're posting on a public forum for a public physics engine.
agi_shi

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:58 am

Come on guys come down.
Agi_shi and Andy Price you are both very good programmers and had shown you underatnd teh engine well,
by helpping many, many users in the forum with problems that in many cases I too learn from the solutions.
Having a different of opirnion is not a strong reason to go in to a war about methodology.

The truth is that in a programming there is not really a right or bad way of programming.
all programs are untimatltey converted to machine code, and chages are the teh compiler will translate and std vector and a flat array to the exact same binary code.
so please let the person adressing stop, for both.
Julio Jerez

Postby Andy Price » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:57 am

Hi Julio, you're right and you've said what I was saying all along. I just get 'riled' when people make such direct attacks and things like "You're building a car with plastic tools, we're merely suggesting that you should use metal ones." - is just downright stupid and bound to cause arguements. I try not to criticise other peoples code and instead help them make it work within the confines of how they've decided to do it - otherwise you'll get everyone writing the exact same programs and all creativity and originality is destroyed. (Agi_Shi, you CAN buy plastic cars, and fibre glass ones like TVR which are worth quite a bit).

Julio - just a note although you probably already know, your forum is getting lots of spam from stuv555.
Andy Price

Postby agi_shi » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Andy Price wrote:I try not to criticise other peoples code and instead help them make it work within the confines of how they've decided to do it

The problem here is that sometimes the confines of how one writes a program are artificial, and they cause more harm than good. I am not here to attack your code - don't get so defensive about it :). In the end, as Julio says, everything ends up much the same assembly and machine code. I want to simply say that you should not place confines upon your code 'just because' that's how you've decided to do it - sometimes you must revise the broken root itself, rather than revise everything around a broken root. Understand what I'm trying to explain?

otherwise you'll get everyone writing the exact same programs and all creativity and originality is destroyed.

Creativity and originality is found within the end result, not within the programming that went into it :idea:

(Agi_Shi, you CAN buy plastic cars, and fibre glass ones like TVR which are worth quite a bit).

You are correct - but do you mold the plastic and glass for the cars using plastic tools? ;) The car is the program, the tools are the code. There are many types of cars - plastic, fibre glass, and metal. However, each and everyone one of them is built with the same type of tools - metal tools. Much the same way, any type of program still needs to apply basic standards for the tool being used - in this case, C++.
agi_shi

Postby Andy Price » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:35 am

Just seems to be a continuation of your arguement.. pointless.
Andy Price

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:56 am

There is nithong wrong wieth having different point of view, you both are very smart and liek to be in cgarge what when you do, teht is all good.
Why is no good is when in a public forum some want start to attack other ideas because they happen to disagree.
I am locking the thread we already sad everything that need to be discused.
Julio Jerez

Previous

Return to General Discussion