Soccer Ball

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Soccer Ball

Postby AticAtac » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:51 am

I am now in the process to make a fun (and simple) soccer game.
As for the ball physic i am thinking to use a physic library like newton.
The requirements i have for the ball physics are not high (i know there are many forces which have impact on a realistic ball movement).
I want to do basic ball movements like shooting, passing, ball trajectories and also collision detection with players and "other" objects.

- Is this possible with Newton ?
- Is it possible to adjust Newton's behaviour later for adding more realistic ball behaviour like adding Magnus force ?
- Has anyone done similar thing and is willing to share with me code/ideas ?

thx in advance

Atic
AticAtac

Re: Soccer Ball

Postby Andy Price » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:05 am

Hi,

The physics of passing / shooting etc are all possible and you just work out the trajectory and force required to reach certain points. If 'magnus' means 'magnets' then yes, you can have 'attraction' and 'repulsion' between objects by simply applying forces to/from certain bodies, if you didn't mean that then perhaps you'll need to clarify. I'm afraid I have no interest in sport so I've never done any kind of sports game and so have nothing like that to share but to sum up, yes, it's possible with newton.

I recommend you download the SDK and run some of the examples so you can see yourself what Newton is capable of and perhaps do some programming altering the behaviour of the demo to try and match your 'football needs'.
Andy Price

Postby andrew11 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:53 pm

The magnus force is due to the rotation of the ball and interaction with the air. This is very much possible, but you will need to calculate and apply the forces yourself. It should be pretty simple because you can get the balls velocity and angular velocity easily.
andrew11

Postby Vsk » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Vsk

Return to General Discussion