Powered Ragdoll - Aerial Skiing WIP

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Powered Ragdoll - Aerial Skiing WIP

Postby walaber » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:47 am

This is a short video showing my progress on a game idea I had, using a "powered" ragdoll, where input from the game controller is mapped directly to the joints of the character, giving analog control over a character in realtime.

Powered Ragdoll - aerial skiing prototype 01

I want to make a "freestyle skiing" game based on this, and the video shows the first tests I made tonight after getting the controls working. Currently the character is temp (re-used from my Trampoline game), and many of the physics settings / control mappings need work...

but I think this is a good start, and I feel that I can probably make a working game based on this control scheme.

next I want to spend some more time on the contact callback for the skis, to make them act a bit more like real skis, providing almost zero friction when moving forward, but much more when sliding sideways. I have already sort of implemented this, but it needs more improvements first. Also the skis might be a bit too "flimsy" still.

I will probably also build a controller overlay display as well, to show what controller input is resulting in the in-game motion.

The prototype is using the latest beta of Newton 2.0.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Dave Gravel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 am

:lol: It's really AMAZING, very nice work man.
I very like to see the curve apply on the ski too.

Good work.
You search a nice physics solution, if you can read this message you're at the good place :wink:
OrionX3D Projects & Demos:
https://orionx3d.sytes.net
https://www.facebook.com/dave.gravel1
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvadLevarg/videos
Dave Gravel

Postby Yezide » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:08 am

Cool stuff! I am interested in what controls u use to control the joints (what buttons to what).
Yezide

Postby walaber » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:13 am

currently:

LEFT analog stick = arms / twisting... so LEFT/RIGHT twist torso and arms, and UP/DOWN raise and lower the arms.

RIGHT analog stick = main body control... LEFT/RIGHT leans left and right, and UP / DOWN extends/contracts abs, stomach, and back to arch the back, or curl forward.

EITHER TRIGGER = tuck legs. Pull trigger to tuck legs, release to extend legs.

I'm not sure if this will be the final control scheme, but it's a good start.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:36 pm

Wow I see you are getting some progress.
Master Walaber is givin me many ideas and inspiration.
He lend me his model and the joint class he made for his project, so the pawaaaaa will be included in the nest beta an dteh basic radoll, an dteh controlled ragdoll.

walaber wrote:currently:
LEFT analog stick = arms / twisting... so LEFT/RIGHT twist torso and arms, and UP/DOWN raise and lower the arms.
RIGHT analog stick = main body control... LEFT/RIGHT leans left and right, and UP / DOWN extends/contracts abs, stomach, and back to arch the back, or curl forward.
EITHER TRIGGER = tuck legs. Pull trigger to tuck legs, release to extend legs.
I'm not sure if this will be the final control scheme, but it's a good start.

this is very close to what I have envision for the post matching animation system.
With the exception that the goal poses are taking form the environment using the collision system and
a data base of basic rules from biometrics.
I will study what you did to use a starting point, it seems much better than my first try.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:28 pm

There are still many improvements I need to make to my custom joint for controlling the ragdoll, hopefully Julio can help me with some of them.

once I get the controls working even better, I'll post a new progress video.
walaber

Re: Powered Ragdoll - Aerial Skiing WIP

Postby peterluo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:16 am

It is very good. I also want to create such a ragdoll, where I can control each join and make the ragdoll to dance.
walaber, how to do it? can you teach me? many thanks.
peterluo

Return to User Gallery