Dynamically Scalable Portals

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Dynamically Scalable Portals

Postby agi_shi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm

YouTube streaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meedeHieHAE&feature=user

Sorry for many a new thread, but I've completely redesigned the portal system and done a lot of stuff - my other thread got a little crowded with irrelevant info.

Now portals are completely scalable, in addition to dynamic, in real time:
Code: Select all
somePortal->setScale(1, 2, 1);

Wouldn't be possible without Newton ;)
agi_shi

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:00 pm

I only have one thing to say about this project.
Kickkkk Asssssssss
Julio Jerez

Postby DarthPhysics » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Hey !!

You just made some knot in my brain :D
That is a really great thing :shock:
The theory is when we know all but nothing work.
The practice is when everything work but no one know why. <- that is me :) without the 'everything work'
DarthPhysics

Postby agi_shi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:03 pm

:D

There's just a few minor issues that I have to work out now. For example, when I scale my objects, I don't change their mass... if I got this right, density of an object should remain the same, so if I enlarge or shrink an object, I must also enlarge or shrink its mass... no problem. Also, I have to get dual-sided collisions working again. I removed them to implement scalable portals as its easier to work the with the whole system when there's no duplicating going on. Shouldn't really be a problem - the tech itself works great, but it's a bit annoying keeping track of everything and knowing when to duplicate an object through a portal and link it to its "original" (_MANY_ thanks for that portal joint, Julio :)).
agi_shi

Postby Vsk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:12 am

That is realy amazing :o. This is the kind of genium that I admired (like Hideo Kojima kind genius).

But why don't you answer the question in you tube about what happend if you put a portal into another? Would the world collpase? :D .

This is gonna be open source?
if not, how do you do the graphic part, is with view ports right? or other way?.
The physic part is amazing!
I hope high budget proyect would have this kind of ideas, game dev will change for better, but they keep with their closed minds, to better graphics and nothing more, creativity and originality(like this one) has been lost lastly :(.

KEEP IT UP!.
Vsk

Postby Vsk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:27 am

Another question, did you make performance test making several object goes through portas at same time? Because you are creating new physic geometry ever time you go though a porta right? Is is much fps consumer?
Vsk

Postby agi_shi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Vsk wrote:Another question, did you make performance test making several object goes through portas at same time? Because you are creating new physic geometry ever time you go though a porta right? Is is much fps consumer?

No geometry is "created" when stuff goes through portals, its all cached. Body cloning works in under 0.001ms, so you can have loads of portals active with loads of objects going through without a speed decrease.

Portal through portal works great on non-linked portals. It works "ok" on linked portals, technically, the first portal should fly out of itself. It's not "perfect", though, and I'll need to fix it up or special-case it. No crashes or anything, though.
agi_shi

Postby Vsk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:21 pm

agi_shi wrote:
Vsk wrote:Another question, did you make performance test making several object goes through portas at same time? Because you are creating new physic geometry ever time you go though a porta right? Is is much fps consumer?

No geometry is "created" when stuff goes through portals, its all cached. Body cloning works in under 0.001ms, so you can have loads of portals active with loads of objects going through without a speed decrease.

Portal through portal works great on non-linked portals. It works "ok" on linked portals, technically, the first portal should fly out of itself. It's not "perfect", though, and I'll need to fix it up or special-case it. No crashes or anything, though.

But body cloning create the same exact geometry righ? and you are chagins its size and because newton doen't suppor dinamic scaled then you must create "another" geometry even if it has it same shape, or i am wrong?.

But it is ok you have some problems with portal-to portal direct linking, because your are going to out for your self, but yoursefl is get into the other one so there would be some kind of cicle , but it should disapper.

What is your web page? or blog?

Keep it up, it is realy amazing, the poosiblietes are ilimitated.
By the way , I saw teh self collions though portals:D , it was amazing, realy original and besides perfect graphic and physicly. I started to showing it to all my friends.
Vsk

Postby agi_shi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:12 pm

Hm. I don't know - the bodies are cloned in under 0.001ms, which is excellent.

I have no page or blog, heh. Best place to find me is probably the Ogre3D and Irrlicht IRC channels. Sometimes on gamedev's channel.
agi_shi

Postby Yezide » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:49 am

Just wanted to say that it just get better and better! And it was awesome to start with :P
Yezide

Postby Dave Gravel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 pm

I continue to say like of what I have already say at the begin Nice work.
Good Continuation.
You search a nice physics solution, if you can read this message you're at the good place :wink:
OrionX3D Projects & Demos:
https://orionx3d.sytes.net
https://www.facebook.com/dave.gravel1
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvadLevarg/videos
Dave Gravel

Nice work

Postby arsuceno » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Ok, I have a new idol. Very very very nice work!
arsuceno

Re: Dynamically Scalable Portals

Postby Pfaeff » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:23 am

It's been some time till the last news. Anything new happened with your project ? I just want to know, because it's really awesome.
Pfaeff

Postby zalo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Don't worry the project is still alive, he's just been at the ogre boards to show off his graphics as of late.

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37376
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42350

He didn't post these here because they weren't physics related.
zalo

Postby agi_shi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Check out the site at http://www.portalized.org/
agi_shi

Next

Return to User Gallery