Building/Using NewtonDynamics on Linux

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Building/Using NewtonDynamics on Linux

Postby Bill » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Hello,

I was hoping I might be able to get a bit of guidance on how to build and use Newton 3.14 (freshly downloaded from the repository yesterday) in Linux (Ubuntu 20.04, 64-bit).

I followed the instructions provided by JernejL from a previous thread (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9201#p65637) and was able to build at least some of the library files, but I'm not sure if it finished completely because I got some errors toward the end of the process.

Following the instructions provided by JernejL, I installed the large list of dependencies and then executed the following command to initiate the build:

Code: Select all
cmake -DNEWTON_DEMOS_SANDBOX=OFF -DNEWTON_BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF .. && make

These are the files that were built...

libdAnimation.a     libdgNewtonAvx.so           libdModel.a    libglatter.a
libdContainers.a    libdgNewtonReferenceGPU.so  libdNewton.a   libimgui.a
libdCustomJoints.a  libdgPhysics.a              libdScene.a    libnewton.a
libdgCore.a         libdMath.a                  libdVehicle.a  libtinyxml.a

...but these were the errors I got during the build process:

/usr/bin/ld: ../../lib/libdgCore.a(dgThread.cpp.o): undefined reference to symbol 'pthread_create@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [applications/demosSandbox/CMakeFiles/demosSandbox.dir/build.make:953: applications/demosSandbox/demosSandbox] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:972: applications/demosSandbox/CMakeFiles/demosSandbox.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

Do these errors suggest I'm missing some sort of dependency, or perhaps that there's something wrong with the cmake files? Or, is this error to be expected and shouldn't be something I worry about?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide...I'm not very familiar with Linux in general, so this is all a bit of a struggle for me!
Bill

Re: Building/Using NewtonDynamics on Linux

Postby espresso » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:34 am

Hello,

sync again? It has been long enough. ;)

newton-4.0 having a lot of recent work should also build on Linux.
espresso

Return to General Discussion