New PC

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: New PC

Postby Dave Gravel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:40 am

Water cooling

Pretty much all popular water cooling models is very good and can last very long times.
Pretty much all good models have fan with low sound noise.
The computer have the time to become a lot outdated before something coming out from the water cooling.. Many devices risk to come down before, Believe me I have test and install many popular models in my life.
Maybe some old models have get problems before, But it is pretty much fix on all popular models and this from far in the pass.
Maybe it can cause problem if the user always try to modify his pc build setup and always moving the tubes all weeks, But who is going to play with this when the computer work correctly.

Here I clean my computer 1 or 2 times by year, I do the same for pretty much all my gamers clients at work.
I never have see strange problems with Water cooling when it is use and manipulated correctly and without stretch the tubes corner link.

Exemple with ryzen cpu and stock fan it is good when you only use one core or exemple half cores.
The temp problem start when you use full cores at full speed.
It is pretty much impossible to run big bench with stock fan with full cores processing.
You need at less water cooling for this.
It is the same situation if you try to use unreal engine and compile a big scene.
If you like to use only half cores with unreal engine to reduce high temp you need to manually change some options in the engine config.
It is pretty much the same problem when you use big 3d modelers with full cores rendering process.
It is same too when you use ide like visual studio for compile with multithreads mode active when the project is big.

It is possible to change the stock fan and use a better and bigger fan.
It is ok and normally work well, The problem begin when you start to use full cores process again.
It can surely handle the temp but you need to deal with the sound of a plane that flying in your computer room.
The first month it make low noise but after some months it become quicly crazy.
Big cpu fan is pretty good for finish with a tinnitus problems 2 or 3 years later.

Water cooling is good for overclock yes, But now newer cpu's is auto overclocked by default from the bios. Exemple you have a cpu at 3.5ghz and it can boost to 4.2ghz.
If with the fan the temp is not optimal you are at risk to never get the 4.2ghz.
Or it go to 4.2ghz but it running slower and the cpu is not agressive.
The cpu working good when it is cold and it is a lot more agressive when it is cold too.
It is the same for pretty much all devices in the computer.
The water cooling reduce a lot the stress temp on the motherboard too.

If you buy a new computer and if you think to work hard and use all cores at full speed you need a good water cooling and it have nothing in relation with overclocking.
If you like to have a aggressive computer always ready to work hard you need water cooling.
If you like to reduce noise you need water cooling.

Maybe some water cooling for some special extrem pc build is more at risk to cause problem, But like I have say most popular models is very good now.

vegetable oil

This is good when you like to spend money for very little difference with computer.
Or maybe if you like to have a aquarium and you don't like to kill aquamarine red fish life.
Maybe in this case it is good to use vegetable oil setup 8) :lol:
It is more a flashing nice looking setup for try to impress other :twisted:

The only real place where the vegetable oil is very effective is for GPU.
Exemple when you build a quick little bitcoin mining setup it can become usefull, But it is not simple for big mining system hehe.
With new cpu's the best is surely the water cooling for now.
Maybe soon they can coming with better solutions but currently for lower trouble and lower price the water stay the best.
You search a nice physics solution, if you can read this message you're at the good place :wink:
OrionX3D Projects & Demos:
https://orionx3d.sytes.net
https://www.facebook.com/dave.gravel1
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvadLevarg/videos
Dave Gravel

Previous

Return to General Discussion