Important!! Read before posting

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Important!! Read before posting

Postby Alain » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:24 pm

- This is an international community. As it is in my case, I assume many of the people here speak English as a second language. Because of this some times words are taken into a different context than they are meant. Please keep this in mind before posting. Comprende?

- Refrain from using foul language and insults. Topics considered offensive or containing inappropriate material will be deleted. We welcome your feedback and suggestions, but please keep the negative thoughts to yourself. Making unconstructive comments won’t solve anything.

- If you have a request, please don’t make it as an ultimatum. Too often we get people stating something like “if you don’t do this, I am going to use other engine.” Posting topics in this manner will probably not get you the answer you want.

- We want to stay away from engine comparison since they tend to bring passionate discussions ending in flame wars. If you need advice on different physics engines please visit their forum. The decision to use a particular engine is ultimately yours.

- There are always going to be divergent opinions on what is the best thing to do with the engine. We make decisions based on our own experience and user input. We simply can’t accommodate everybody.

- Contrary to commercial physics engine companies which deal only with selected groups of trained programmers, users of free engines cover the full spectrum. If you expect to take full advantage of Newton you should have an intermediate to advance knowledge of math, physics and data structures. Newton is a very low level API, and as such it does not perform error checking. Newton maintains data structures to a bare minimum. It is the user responsibility to create his/her own structures using his/her language of choice.

- We work on NGD as a hobby and we offer the engine, demos, tutorials and access to this forum free of charge. We don’t have the time and man power needed to provide the commercial quality documentation you may find in commercial physics engines costing tens of thousand of dollars. We do however, plan on improving our existing documentation. Thanks to the help of some of the community members we have been able to concentrate more on improvements.

Thanks for your attention
Alain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:10 am

This is just a reminder regarding using Newton.
If you are using the Newton engine in a project, you are very welcome to post your comment here in this forum. You can post your comment about anything related to what you are doing, problems, suggestion, ideas, recommendations, tricks, or anything else.

However if for some reason you find that the engine is not what you are looking for because for some reason you are making a more grandiose project and the Newton engine is just not good enough, then there is an uninstall button in the start menu.
If for some reason you find Newton physic better than the physics provided by similar libraries, that is great, but that is something we do not need to know and we preffer you refrain from commenting on the issue on this forum.

Please do not post questions asking about how to do things that you can do with other engine, any question mention the name of any competing technology will be silently deleted.

Thank you
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:00 pm

I hate to do that but this is a reminder.

I decided that some post were not in the best interest of the forum because they derived into what I said I would not do under any circumstance.
I am sorry that I had to delete also important questions about implementation, but I said that I will not going to be drawn into comparison discussions of any kind.
The bottom line is that Newton is not Open Source and this is also a factor you need to consider when you pick your physics solution.
If you think that this is too much of a burden to beard later on during the development of your project, it is better that you do not selected it.

You are not obligated to continue using it just because you start using it in the past. It is your obligation to select what you think is best and if you think other library is best, them by all mean go for it.
You do not have to continue using it because of gratitude or any other reason.

I like to think that is you are using it is because you really believe that it is solution the will do what is suppose to do, not more and no less.

Thank you.
Julio Jerez

Return to General Discussion