CMake Question

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

CMake Question

Postby MeltingPlastic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Julio, The new CMake scripts are a lot better and integration is going well so far ( I can finally link via dlls)

What does the STATIC_RUNTIME_LIBRARIES option mean and how is it different and not inversely related to GENERATE_DLL?
MeltingPlastic

Re: CMake Question

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:48 pm

In visual studio you can have the option to link your project to two type of system libraries
Multi-threaded (/MT)

there are some differences, for example if you are making a single binary I usual select
Multi-threaded (/MT), this make a stand alone executable that does not need the libraries to be in the systems because they are linked to your exe.

when using DLL, is probably better to use Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)
so that the dll are all the smaller that the can be, and they do not have the same sys libraries duplicated.

in general I always choose Multi-threaded (/MT), which make independent exculpations, but sometime when using the engine with other project you need to choose the same libraries the app is using because there is not other option.

GENERATE_DLL? mean the sdk will produce static or dynamic libraries, this is different than the system libraries they are linked too.
Julio Jerez

Re: CMake Question

Postby MeltingPlastic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks. Was not completely sure if the STATIC_RUNTIME_LIBRARIES switch was related to purely linking to system libs or not. Makes sense now.
MeltingPlastic

Return to General Discussion