Bodies with non-uniform mass distribution

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Bodies with non-uniform mass distribution

Postby misho » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Is it possible to define a single body that would have a non-uniform mass distribution? As in, a bottom-heavy bowling pin?
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Re: Bodies with non-uniform mass distribution

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:00 pm

you could if you calculate the inertia and you set explicitly.
you can use a compound to get he inertia of each part, and the use the parallel axis to ge the combine inertia and com.

That may be a cool functionality to ass to the compound, calculation the inertia for part with different mass density. do you need something like that?
Julio Jerez

Re: Bodies with non-uniform mass distribution

Postby misho » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:you could if you calculate the inertia and you set explicitly.
you can use a compound to get he inertia of each part, and the use the parallel axis to ge the combine inertia and com.

That may be a cool functionality to ass to the compound, calculation the inertia for part with different mass density. do you need something like that?

Yes, correct, I can calculate MOI on the fly. Absolutely, I would need something like that. The need arises from my space project, where a spacecraft has fuel/oxidiser/water tanks, and as they get depleted, the MOI changes, which really changes the balance of the spacecraft, with respect to how it reacts to control thrusters in zero gravity.

But, the same logic can be applied to air/surface vehicles (flight simulators - aircraft with fuel tanks, road vehicles...)
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Return to General Discussion