Errors attempting to Build Newton Unity Plugin

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Errors attempting to Build Newton Unity Plugin

Postby Sweenie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Try removing the back slash at the end of the path in the environment variable
Sweenie

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:17 pm

one thing to try is to see if the project find the path, I do that sometime when I get these kind of problems.
you can edit the project file an paste the full path to any of the missing libraries directories for example the dMath folder, if the error goes away, then we know that the environment variable to the newton sdk is incorrect

It must be that either the environment variable is wrong or that somehow your visual studio version is not loading it.
The only thing I can think off is that visual studio is registered to a different account and does not load the user account environment. I have seen that with projects that override VS like once I was writing a SoftImage plugin, and the solution loaded an entirely set of variables.
if that is the case for you will have to add the new enviroment to the script that VS is loading.
Julio Jerez

Postby blackbird_dream » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:52 am

Thk you both.
with or without \ is the same.

In Newton.i I changed :
Code: Select all
%include "dMathDefines.h"
%include "dVector.h"
%include "dMatrix.h"
%include "dQuaternion.h"
%include "dLinearAlgebra.h"

%include "dCustomAlloc.h"

to :
Code: Select all
%include "C:\Users\toto\VSProjects\NewtonDynamics\sdk\dMath\dMathDefines.h"
%include "C:\Users\toto\VSProjects\NewtonDynamics\sdk\dMath\dVector.h"
%include "C:\Users\toto\VSProjects\NewtonDynamics\sdk\dMath\dMatrix.h"
%include "C:\Users\toto\VSProjects\NewtonDynamics\sdk\dMath\dQuaternion.h"
%include "C:\Users\toto\VSProjects\NewtonDynamics\sdk\dMath\dLinearAlgebra.h"

%include "C:\Users\toto\VSProjects\NewtonDynamics\sdk\dCustomJoints\dCustomAlloc.h"

Ths allowed the compilation of NewtonPluginEditor and NewtonPlugin but NewtonWrapper failed due to other issues in paths but there are too many files concerned (stdafx.h...)
blackbird_dream

Postby blackbird_dream » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:37 am

oh shame on me.
I just had to close and reopen VS2017 to take the env changes into account.
blackbird_dream

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Oh cool, glad you get it working.
bear in mind the Unity plugging is a work in progress.
Sweenie and I started and add stuff whenever we feel like it.
The plugin is base on Swig so extending it is relatively easy.

If you fell like you need some functionality that is no exposed fell free to let us know and we can gladly add it.
Few people has asked and when the find out the plug in is no completed the simple move on and use other physics solution because they do not want to know about detail the just when something that works for them. I do understand that that reaction, but on the other hand I do not have time to keep adding stuff to a plugin it when I know that chance of acceptance is very small.
I already did that with several other engines: Ogree, OpenSceneGraphs, Irrlitch, Game studio, and some other I do not remember.

Your name sound familiar and look at uyor post history, I know that your interest goes beyond feature list, so I hope you do find what you look for.

I also like to say that back when you were using newton, we have a solve that was a compromise between exact joint for contacts and bilateral. but is was expensive and has some problems other problems.
today the engine has evolved a great deal,
1 the joints are now exact at all time. Now it the opposite as it used to be, joints are assumed to be exact unless the end client app want them to be soft.
3 the joints solver works in linear time, so not longer the app has to decide between passes and accuracy
4- out mission statement
Newton Dynamics implements a deterministic solver, which is not based on traditional LCP or iterative methods, but possesses the stability and speed of both respectively. This feature makes Newton Dynamics a tool not only for games, but also for any real-time physics simulation.

contrary to the narrative crated by the self appointed expert for Virtual reality lab, is 100 true and I stand by is, the never let me demonstrated why.
in fact the joint are so robust in newton that I am re writing all the feature to use joint and rigid bodies, for example the vehicles is a 100% articulated body. and the only reason it has to be a dedicate feature is because the tire contacts are a non columb approximation, instead is a Brush Model. as stated by Giancarlo Genta.
4-collisions are far more accurate and robust.

some other functionality that I do no remember but I mention those because I believe vehicle is part of what you do.
Julio Jerez

Postby blackbird_dream » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Yes You said that I was'nt a 'run of the mill user' 10 years ago.
I know your engine well, at least the 1.53 version and I appreciated it a lot because it's true physics.
You sent me a special build with stiffer joints because I used very severe configurations.
I understand that the current version now can do the job without special settings, that's cool.
Now I am interested in embedding my own vehicle (the one I spent lot of time to design and validate. It's a Forklift indeed.
My first question is : is that possible ? I guess you did it with your vehicle unit you talked about yesterday. I just need to create articulated bodies with common joints (for the rear oscillating axle and the lifting unit. no suspension), a special tire model based on force /slip angle relationships and also I remembered I used you raycast to measure the current deflexion of the tire relative to the ground (the deflexion governs the vertical stifmess of the tire of course). Ideally I'd like to have a kind of template with a basic vehicle just to understand how to handle the class for creation of entities and compile them in a dll.
Then I'll learn how to use unity first and your new version of Newton Dynamics with unity. K00m told me sometimes ago that lots of things have changed since in the philosophy of your engine.
Thks so much for all your efforts and self-denial.
Last edited by blackbird_dream on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackbird_dream

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 pm

yes that's possible. my suggestion is that you first play with the plugin a the so that you can see how it works.
In the end for you project you may end up making your own custom joints, that let you control the vehicle and the tire they way you want.
This sound intimidation but is actually quite simple in Newton. for now just try to make any kind of articulation with the current plugin, see how that works for you.
Julio Jerez

Postby blackbird_dream » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 am

Ok. I'll do that. I certainly need some time to get familiar with unity
blackbird_dream

Previous

Return to General Discussion