Newton 3 help

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Newton 3 help

Postby tod » Mon May 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi, I'm trying to port some old code that used Newton 2.29 and OgreNewt, and I'm pretty stumped by all the changes. Now I'm on latest Newton and OgreNewton. Do you have any decent tutorials/porting guides or the like?

Alternatively, my most pressing questions:
- Where is the Newton World gone? I used to pass that to any body and the like. I even had some code to support multiple worlds, but now it seems to be abstracted away?
- Is there any benefit to using the object version? Does it support all the stuff the c version has?
- What use is the use of dScene?
- Old OgreNewt had a serialization function using NewtonCollisionSerialize and NewtonCreateCollisionFromSerialization. Is there a decent way to serialize using the objects? Or how can I get from object to the "raw" types?
tod

Re: Newton 3 help

Postby misho » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:29 pm

tod wrote:Hi, I'm trying to port some old code that used Newton 2.29 and OgreNewt, and I'm pretty stumped by all the changes. Now I'm on latest Newton and OgreNewton. Do you have any decent tutorials/porting guides or the like?

Alternatively, my most pressing questions:
- Where is the Newton World gone? I used to pass that to any body and the like. I even had some code to support multiple worlds, but now it seems to be abstracted away?
- Is there any benefit to using the object version? Does it support all the stuff the c version has?
- What use is the use of dScene?
- Old OgreNewt had a serialization function using NewtonCollisionSerialize and NewtonCreateCollisionFromSerialization. Is there a decent way to serialize using the objects? Or how can I get from object to the "raw" types?

Let me see if I can help out with my limited, but growing, experience :wink:

re: Newton World... Not sure where you're getting this. Have you looked at the Demo Sandbox? Every scene has code that more or less looks like this:

Code: Select all
NewtonWorld* const world = scene->GetNewton();

// create the vehicle collision shape
NewtonCollision* const CM0 = NewtonCreateCylinder(world, 0.72, 0.72, 0.267, 0, &offset[0][0]);

So, the world is quite prominent in code.

re: scene, I believe, is a container that holds all the physical objects, the "floor", and the skybox.
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Return to General Discussion