What is the shape of NewtonCreateChamferCylinder collision?

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

What is the shape of NewtonCreateChamferCylinder collision?

Postby misho » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:36 pm

In the call:

NEWTON_API NewtonCollision* NewtonCreateChamferCylinder (const NewtonWorld* const newtonWorld, dFloat radius, dFloat height, int shapeID, const dFloat* const offsetMatrix);

There doesn't seem to be enough parameters to describe a chamfer cylinder, which, from what I understand, should be a shape similar to this:

Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Re: What is the shape of NewtonCreateChamferCylinder collisi

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 pm

you are right, it should has been call bevel cylinder which is a special case of a chamfer edge

however most people the to think that a bevel refers to a straight cut of the edge but it could also be round. therefore I when with the name chamfer which also could be round,
https://www.jfberns.com/post/bevel-and- ... difference

this is just sematic, you can think of a chamfered cylinder as a torus with the hole capped.
this can be described by the equation of a toroid, which is a sweep of a sphere along a circular disk
the reason of that shape is to make well behave wheels collision wide.
Julio Jerez

Postby misho » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Right - that's what I thought... the technical term is "Frustum of a right circular cone" :mrgreen:

Still - the Newton call in my original post is missing a parameter (second radius) that would properly describe a capped torus (a cartooney tire :D) or this shape. This is probably on a very low priority list, but I was hoping to use this shape for my space capsule collision. :lol:

EDIT: I apologize, for the torus, a radius (minor radius) and height (major radius) are sufficient, as described here, and I think this is what you meant: (basically, a disc with round edges)

Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 pm

misho wrote:Right - that's what I thought... the technical term is "Frustum of a right circular cone" :mrgreen:

if you want to make that, you can use a cylinder, cylinder in newton take two radios.
that will perfectly define the shape in the image.
Julio Jerez

Postby misho » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Oh - I'm blind! Yes, totally, that's what I'm looking for! I was looking at a cone and a chamfer cylinder :roll: Thanks!
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Return to General Discussion