Joints too loose.

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Joints too loose.

Postby Zetamun » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Keep in mind this is Newton from 2011 so it is missing some features. I can't afford to pay 90 bux for someone to make me an updated DLL anymore so 2011 version is all I've got for now.

I've decided to make my own custom physics with wheels have low friction and don't spin. But the joints are pulling apart from the main body, because the impulse is applied to the wheels. The way my physics are I have to use AddImpulse and not AddForce. GmnCreateCustomRigid crashes the game for some reason, so I can't use rigid joints. All other joints seem to pull apart when I add impulses to them.

I tried to make a compound shape but compound shapes make everything the same mass and material, I want the tires to be a different material from the car. So I attached a block bumper in front of the car to stop the wheels from escaping the car, but it suffers the same problem - wheel the wheels collide with it, it becomes a loose bumper that wobbles and makes the car wobble and become tipsy turvy. I tried attaching a joint to other wheels but no dice.
Zetamun

Re: Joints too loose.

Postby JoeJ » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am

Zetamun wrote:I can't afford to pay 90 bux for someone to make me an updated DLL anymore so 2011 version is all I've got for now.

If you'd do yourself you'd get all features you want and future updates / adding features to the wrapper would be no problem.
On the long run you probably would save a lot of time.

You would not need to work around problems in wrong ways just to make it work.
You could use Julios advanced car.
You would get the new exact Joints.
What you learn would be useful for other things you do in the future.
etc...
JoeJ

Re: Joints too loose.

Postby Zetamun » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Zetamun skating along doing the bare minimum. Mind you have to also make graphics and a procedural track generator as well.

In any case, I got car physics to work in the old out of date newton in gm, lo and behold lol. Just ended up using the AddForce function and using the old mass*velocity equations.
Zetamun

Return to General Discussion