coasting - coast 2 coast

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

coasting - coast 2 coast

Postby Zetamun » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Basically I got a really good custom car in GmnNewton (Don't have any RayCast car functions, not a big bummer for me because RayCast cars tend to be topheavy.)

Anyhoo, got a mysterious issue. Car can't coast higher than 39 miles per hour, at 100 mph it rapidly slows down to 39. Tried all damping settings but no dice. Tried every function but no dice.

My next step would be, is to find the magnitudal force that will cause the car to coast, but not exceed its current acceleration rate.
so if its going 190, it will slowly go to 188, but not enough addforce to go over 190...
tricky because of mass and material issues of the car.
Zetamun

Re: coasting - coast 2 coast

Postby JoeJ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Zetamun wrote:Anyhoo, got a mysterious issue. Car can't coast higher than 39 miles per hour, at 100 mph it rapidly slows down to 39. Tried all damping settings but no dice. Tried every function but no dice.

Do your car drive by rotating wheels or by external force?
With wheels there might be two issues:
1. Loosing static friction (increase friction values for wheel and ground material may help).
2. Older Newton had a max angular velocity - wheels can't rotate faster than that. Probably the only way around is to user smaller timesteps.
JoeJ

Postby Zetamun » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:14 pm

Dont see any functions to change the timesteps.

No luck with the friction material settings so far.

Car drives by a magic AddForce, isnt driven by the wheels turning.
Zetamun

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:37 pm

there is a cap of the max angular velocity that is limited to 0.25 of one revolution per time step.
late version of newton has futionality to change that.
what version of newton is that?

if you have an older version you can add it yourself .
Julio Jerez

Postby Zetamun » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 pm

In the scripts it says version 1.00, but it could be 2.00 it is not very clear. It was made in 2011 so it is definitely out of date.

There is no DLL for the 2016 version of newton for game maker so I guess I have to write it myself. Anything I should know before I get started? I have only made 1 dll before in my life and I'm a bit rusty and have no idea what I'm doing. I want to make this cross-platform compatible for PC, Android, Iphone, HTML 5, xbox, playstation, and Mac.

if you have an older version you can add it yourself .

Add what exactly? And yes you are right, the max omega speed seems to have an inherent limit of 46 degrees per frame.
Zetamun

Return to General Discussion