Unity plugin progress?

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Unity plugin progress?

Postby Sweenie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Ah, forgot that we support multiple worlds. :oops:
Sweenie

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:39 pm

On the unity editor there is a tab that says asset store, when I click there it takes you to a place when they sale assets, but there are also lot of free assets that can be download.

do you think it wod be aprorpiate if we use some of the free asset, he is a much nice house that we could use instead? but there are cool vehicles, tracks and even cities and other stuff
assets.png
assets.png (412.11 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 pm

I downloaded that house and place in the demo, but something weird happens, no matter where I place it, when I run the demo it reset the location to the origin, and the scale to the original.

I have no even added a newton collider yet, is all Unity.
I did turned into an prefab, could it be because of that?
Julio Jerez

Postby Sweenie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm

I noticed that the house is normal size in editor but shrinks when playing the scene.
But then I saw there was an animation component on the game object. Try removing that, it think that mess with the position and scale of the house.
Sweenie

Postby misho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm quite handy with 3D modeling... If you wish, I can make you simple, clean models without any xforms or anims. For free, of course. :wink:
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:39 pm

really? if you can make a simple playground so that can use for both the plugin and the demos and to present new feature that will be very good.

The animation we the problem yes, remove that and I can place many house any where.
Layer we nee to figure out how to extract information for prefab, for example say we make a prefab out of a house, if we place many time, each time is make a new collision shape,
instead we nee to reuse the collision shape.

reusing shape is overrated. because in a real game complex assets are rarely reused, but is will be a nice option to have.
Julio Jerez

Postby misho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:45 pm

What format do you need? I work with 3DS MAX. I have an exporter for Direct3D .x format. It supports LOD's as well.

.x format comes in a text file and is very easy to read... and I'm sure there are free APIs out there that will read it...
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:21 pm

fbx is good
Julio Jerez

Postby misho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Yup, I can do that too. Here's a simple 1-meter cube, centered, just for a sanity check.
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Sweenie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Hmm, in Unity the imported cube fbx shows as one parent node(empty gameobject) called cube1m containing a child node called box01.
The parent(root) has a scale of 100x100x100 and the model has a scale of 0.01.
The scales combined will be 1.0 but would it be possible to export the mesh without the parent node and a model scale of 1.0 ?

I guess the whole scene was exported, maybe you can select just the model and export it alone?
Sweenie

Postby misho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Hmmmm.... I went as simple as it gets. There aren't many options for export, and there is no scene in 3DS MAX, that is something that the exporter creates because FBX format requires it (I suppose)... same with scale. The parameter readouts all read normal, 100% scale with 1 meter (or whatever units) sides.

I have a more recent 3DS MAX version, let me check if there is anything different with exporting...
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby misho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Max 2014 has a bit more export options, but not much on scene and scale. Here is the exported file, in ASCII, and this one in binary. Hope it helps.
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby misho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Sweenie wrote:Hmm, in Unity the imported cube fbx shows as one parent node(empty gameobject) called cube1m containing a child node called box01.
The parent(root) has a scale of 100x100x100 and the model has a scale of 0.01.
The scales combined will be 1.0 but would it be possible to export the mesh without the parent node and a model scale of 1.0 ?

I guess the whole scene was exported, maybe you can select just the model and export it alone?

Reading this again, I am thinking that Unity needs a special scene set up, perhaps a dummy node as parent with children being scene objects. It may be treating the cube as a parent (dummy) node and then not finding any children. There is a similar setup with the system I'm working with - there is a hierarchy of parent node, then LOD nodes, then objects.

I'm sure Unity has guidelines on the structure - let me know what Unity requires and I can adjust it.
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Sweenie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:36 am

The exported fbx from Max 2014 was perfect.
No parent transform node and a scale of 1.0

The old fbx looked like this...

Code: Select all
Cube1m (Scale 100,100,100)
|---Box01 (Scale 1,1,1)
    |---Mesh (Scale 0.01)

The fbx from Max 2014 looked like this...
Code: Select all
Cube1m (Scale 1,1,1)
|---Mesh (Scale 1.0)
Sweenie

Postby misho » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Great! Max 2014 has an option to export in previous FBX versions as well. I exported it with the latest version of course.

Well - you guys let me know what you'd like to have for your 3D playground :wink:
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion