Robot Arm Skeleton dynamics in Newton Dynamics

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Robot Arm Skeleton dynamics in Newton Dynamics

Postby SBlade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am

Dear All,

I'm pretty new to the newton dynamics and I use the engine functionality in GLScene TGLNGD component, Aside from that I'm not even sure that all the features and capabilities of Newton Dynamics are encapsulated in GLScene. In GLScene component I have the ballsocket, hinge, slider, corkscrew, universal, kinematic joint, up_vector and custom versions of those joints.

My goal is to create the robot arm which takes material from one point to another point, is that can be achievable from that primitive joints or is there more intrinsic function in newton dynamics specifically for the robotic arm skeletons?

I'll appreciate your guidance on that! Regards,
SBlade

Re: Robot Arm Skeleton dynamics in Newton Dynamics

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:32 am

yes you can make a robot with those joints, those are the basics joints.

they also have the actuators functionality, which is what you would need for precise control.

you will also need to wrap your configuration with a NewtonSkeleton wich is what provide the exact solution to the solver, given you far better than Featherstone quality joint solution.
look at the starndard joints demo to see how each joint can be set.

what is GLScene TGLNGD? I never heard of that wraper
Julio Jerez

Postby SBlade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 am

GlScene is pascal library for OpenGL and in it, there is component TGLNGD (Type Graphic Library Newton Game Dynamics) on the object inspector it shows the 2.35 dll library version for Newton. So I presume that this is older version of Newton and NewtonSkeleton seems to be the new feature which is not available with this version of Newton.

Furthermore, what I understand from your post is : if I stick to the older version I will not have appropriate solver for skeletons, but even in that case I should be able to construe it from primitives.

they also have the actuators functionality, which is what you would need for precise control.

With actuators do you mean the function/prcedures shown at the attachment? (The shown image is for hinge joint , rigid body )

Regards,
Attachments
Intf.jpg
Intf.jpg (192.79 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
SBlade

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:08 am

SBlade wrote:Furthermore, what I understand from your post is : if I stick to the older version I will not have appropriate solver for skeletons, but even in that case I should be able to construe it from primitives.

With actuators do you mean the function/prcedures shown at the attachment? (The shown image is for hinge joint , rigid body )
Regards,

yest that is correct, joint in 2.xx are still rigid but not as rigid but not as rigid as you would using skeleton.

actuator is a functionality that imitate real life actuator used in animatronic and robotics. basically is a joint that you tell the position of angular that you want the effector to be and the joint update does the calculation to achieve that goal. when you make the you specify the joint velocity, and limits.
only later 3.13 and 3.14 has that functionality. so I do no think is in you library. it would have to be added.

check out google sketch up physics so you can see how they use it to control practically anything.
Julio Jerez

Return to General Discussion