A specific setup problem

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: A specific setup problem

Postby JoeJ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Using also AMD + Dell @ 1440 i'm sure your problem is fixable.
1. Are you sure your graphics resolution is 1440 now and not upscaled from 1080?
2. If so, are you sure Windows does not scale up the UI (like i've initially assumed)?
Win10 does this default for 1440 monitors.

Both would lead to the same unusable blurry font.
It's almost impossible the GPU fails to support 1440 or is unable to render sharp text.
You could try some games to see what happens in fullscreen.

No idea about the VS issues (mine is: Sometimes exe gets not updated after recompilation - drives me crazy)
I'm starting to loose control over my PC as well. Settings are harder to find than even before.
Those guys always want to make things easier for noobs, but they end up making it harder for everyone. One of the few things where Apple is better :) I want Win7 back.
JoeJ

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:41 am

this is absolutely ridicules, windows 10 does not let me use my own computer, every program I run I have to tell windows that I need to want to run that program, but It get worse if a program has to read a file, I can't because I get this error.
shell\comdlg32\fileopensave.cpp(10678)\COMDLG32.dll!770C454C: (caller: 7709D3B9) ReturnHr(1) tid(2718) 80004005 Unspecified error
CallContext:[\PickerModalLoop]
Julio Jerez

Postby misho » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Wow - what a hassle! I am sticking to my win7 setup - I have no time or patience for experimenting. Did you manage to make any headway?
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:49 pm

but it was not like that before my system crashed, This Is the first time I see this craziness.
The thing is that if I call fopen (..) is fine, it is the wxWidget GetOpenSaveFileName function that fails.
Julio Jerez

Postby Shaderman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:12 am

Just an idea, it probably comes from UAC.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off ... indows-10/
Shaderman

Postby Sweenie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:46 am

UAC is probably a good idea for users that actually read the message inside the popup, sadly it never works for people like my parents.
They click yes on everything that pops up even if the message would say "Hello, may we install this malicious software on your computer?" :lol:
Sweenie

Postby misho » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:27 am

Julio Jerez wrote:I see if I cam make the tornado particle demo this weekend.

Julio, back to the topic at hand - any progress on the Coriolis/tornado particle demo?

Thanks!
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 pm

no I did not have time.

I am still trying to find out what is wrong with the system
I asked at work and an the IT guy told me that each time there is a problem in window it registers an event log that I can check using eventvwr

I did that and I see there are more than 10,000 event. after I cleaning the log, I immediatly get over 2000 errors. more than half of the are generated by apps and drivers.

here are some of the fatal examples:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The server {0002DF02-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

and so on.
I looked in the edge to see if people has these problem, but I get random conflicting info,
but even if I find a solution there are thousand of those errors, there has to be better way to fix this.

something is still very wrong with my computer, and I have not idea how to fix it.
The thing is that the system seems to work fine even with those error.
Julio Jerez

Postby Sweenie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Found this post, http://www.clintpriest.com/2015/11/fixi ... ith-clsid/
Seems some missing or messed up registry keys could be causing this.

Maybe a clean install would be best, unless you prefer messing around with the registry.
I miss the good old days without the windows registry, just plain old ini-files.
Sweenie

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:40 pm

install of what windows 10?
the last window I have was window 7 professional which I bought, isn't window 10 free now?
I guess I am going to have to go to fry and see if I can get a copy of window 10 professional.

I do believe some is very wrong with Windows because each it I boot, IT does no show the normal screen, instead is show the safe mode screen and say that is loading files.
is almost as is running in safe mode.
Julio Jerez

Postby misho » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:08 pm

I think Win10 is not free - any more. It was free a while a go (a coupleof months) and the promo ran out... I actually missed out on that. A friend reminded me but I was too late :roll:

I hope you straighten everything out soon...
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Sweenie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Read somewhere the free upgrade ended in Juli 2016. However, some claim it's still free if you are disabled and need the magnifier tools etc. But then you'll have to lie and that doesn't feel right.

But if you did upgrade to windows 10 you should be able to download the ISO-files legally and do a fresh install as long as you connected the Windows 10 license with a microsoft account. But now you also changed your motherboard so the license activation probably detects your computer as a brand new pc. Might work in that case to call Microsoft support and explain.
Sweenie

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:03 pm

I do not mind to get a new copy, what I am afraid is that Ii will reset my system and I will have to install all the software that I have set up.
I hope a re install fixes what is wrong without me having to re install everything.
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 am

well I have a copy of window 10, the is only one problem that concern me.

and that is this this is an OEM os, normally every time I upgraded window I bough an upgrade dvd an that update to the newer version.

The OEM package according t other clerk, is one of this that can only be installed on a clean drive.
so I will have to make a backup of all the stuff I have and reinstall again.
I hope it give the upgrade option, but who knows.
I hope this is the end of all the BS.
Julio Jerez

Postby JoeJ » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:19 am

There are free tools that can display your Windows serial number. Maybe you can bypass OEM limitations by entering your current number again instead the new one.
But from time to time a clean install is unavoidable. Usually i install the new system to another HD and leave the old one alone so i can still boot to it when i miss something.
To do this it's good to change the boot HD in bios, so each OS has it's own bootloader and does not depend on another HD or messes up something between multiple OSes.
JoeJ

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion