A specific setup problem

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: A specific setup problem

Postby JoeJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:30 am

Julio Jerez wrote:I would be so nice if Vulkan exposes all these devices.

also I was thinking, that if the system come with an integrated on ship GPU, even if eh graphics are not up to the level of a discrete GPU, for high performance computing it may actually beat the GPU because the integrated GPU has to shares memory with the CPU.

so if there is a way to map the buffer this may be fart better that DMA transfer to a GPU via PCI bus.
I am thing of stuff like rigid body solve and collision system stuff that only run on CPU.

If I am right and this speculation, them CPU may has no lost the fight versus GPU, integrated graphics may can be use as math coprocessor fro highly intensive operation both in memory and operations.

My wet dream is that something like Vulkan exposes the integrated GPU and that we can use it just and the interface for high performance computing, disregarding graphics very much like CUDA on NVidia, but far more flexible.

You can use multiple GPUs with Vulkan (Next Vulkan will have big improvents there, but iguess this means graphics things like avoiding to decompress images for transfers. For Compute usege there's all there already).

The problem is: Intel has Vulkan drivers for Linux, but for unknown reasons not for Windows.
Thera is only a beta driver :evil: Go to their forums and get angry :)

Physics on integrated GPUs always seemed perfect to me, although there are 2 issues:
CPUs with high core count don't have integrated GPUs.
iGPU causes heat and bandwidth so slows down cores.
But you made a good choice to prefer quad core, let me know when you have some experience with this.

I also guess the 480 is maybe as fast as a 1080 in compute (based on dated experience from Kepler vs. GCN).
Update on async compute: Unlike the small sucessful test i did it fails to be a win in practice.
(See https://community.amd.com/thread/209805)

So, seems we still have to wait a bit until we can utilize our GPUs 100%.
Modern APIs are a great improvement, but there's still work todo...
JoeJ

Postby misho » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:42 am

Excellent news Julio! Looks like you are almost up and running.

So, I would gather from you experience, it would almost make sense not to upgrade existing system, but to start from scratch? Clean slate, clean Win install, instead of plugging in new hardware and letting Windows detect it?
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:47 am

Yes, after I boot wit the old window 7 dvd, I click repair and now everything is fine.
There is only one problem with the system now, for some reason the font is very blurry.

this is a del 2711 monitor, that support 2500 x 1400 resolution, when I has the nvidia card on the display was crystal clear. it also seems a lot more clear when I plug the hmdi not the integrate hdmi on
the mother board.

as it is now the font is unacceptable. it is also more than just blurry font, the image looks watched out as well.
Julio Jerez

Postby JoeJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 am

I've had the blurry font problem too with the same resolution.
It's a setting in Windows. Con't remember but i'll look...
(There ar many sugested fixes in ther internet, but they did not work for me)

Edit:
Right click on desktop, bottom from the Menu, "Anzeigeeinstellungen" (Display Settings?)
Change size of text, apps from 125% to 100%
JoeJ

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:38 am

it has to be the video card because I just witch the connector to the mother board port and it is crystal clear. if I made the scaly 100% it far worse, because it is blurry and really small, totally unreadable.

with the old video card the gforce 740 at the same resolution 2500 x 1440 was also crystal clear
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:43 am

switching resolution to 1920 x 1080 is a little better but not much.

when I go to the AMD panel, in the video setting for me to get the 2500 x 1400 resolution I have to enable a button t hat say extern virtual resolution. that sound to my the AMD as usual is cheating, the max resolution is in fact 1920 and they are simply scaling the image beyond that.
I start to belie this card is *. the intel seems better.
Julio Jerez

Postby Shaderman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:02 am

There seems to be a feature "Virtual Super Resolution" which does some kind of scaling. Maybe turning it off helps.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/VSR.aspx
Shaderman

Postby JoeJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:13 am

Virtual Super Resolution can be used e.g. to render a game in 4K but display it at 2K.
Disable this stuff, fonts can only get worse.

Make sure your output is 2500 x 1400 and the scaling is set to 100 not 125.
Both should be set in Windows, not AMD driver tool.
Here's what it looks for me:

noblur.JPG
noblur.JPG (191.96 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
JoeJ

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:15 am

I updated the driver but that did nothing.

yes it seem turning that VRS off makes it sharper, but this is set the top resolution to 1920 x 1080 when this monitor can display native 2520 x 14040.

well I think I can live with that for now, if I do not feel happy after two days of using it, I will returned and get an NVidia.
Julio Jerez

Postby JoeJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:37 am

This is how windows resolution setting looks like (Not easy to find with Win10).
I guess you have 1080 there:

res.JPG
res.JPG (62.1 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
JoeJ

Postby zak » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:35 am

JoeJ wrote:Physics on integrated GPUs always seemed perfect to me, although there are 2 issues:
CPUs with high core count don't have integrated GPUs.
iGPU causes heat and bandwidth so slows down cores.

and the worst issue: if GPU is activated IGP is disactivated, so if i use GPU for graphics i cannot use IGP for physics.
zak

Postby JoeJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:13 am

:shock: Wow - didn't know about this, what a show stopper.
This means 40% silicon of todays typical gamer CPUs is simply wasted for nothing.
How stupid is this? :roll: :roll: :roll:

It seems to work with AMD APUs at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drsEsk-xW_I

Edit:
Maybe this means graphics only and compute is still possible with Intel IGPU while using dedicated GPU as usual?
Seems yes: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/ivy-bridge-and-opencl-support.54057/#post-1716503
JoeJ

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:34 pm

zak wrote:and the worst issue: if GPU is activated IGP is disactivated, so if i use GPU for graphics i cannot use IGP for physics.

what?, is that true? when I plug the monitor on hdmi output I still get video, so it seems is sending video out for the igpu.
if this was true, then I believe that in fact the man is in conspiracy to control the people.

why would the denied the user 1 terafloats of compute power on the cpu?
let me guess because there would be not reason to sale other hardware.

the old integrated graphic in the CPU has 24 compute units which are for way hyper treaded and are simd and that's the old 530 which only have 4 multi processor, the newer one are new generation 640 and has more unit so I am guessing maybe twice as many, 2000 Plus cuda cores equivalent maybe two perhaps three terafloats of an entry level CPU.

That combined that they share memory so no dreaded PCI fam transfer, if programmers can harness that power, there would be no reason to keep making newer and newer GPU and ceon processors, because that about 20 time the power of any top line $1600 ceon processor or any top GPU.

people should demand from Intel and AMD why the integrated GPU is not exposed to the programmer as a independent math coprocessor?
the bottom line is that, if it can do dx12 graphics is can be use for high performance computing.
Julio Jerez

Postby JoeJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm pretty sure it will work, looking there: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn933253(v=vs.85).aspx
I guess the integrated GPU without attached cable will be enumerated as an adapter without graphics engine, but with compute engine.
Probably it's similar with OpenCL that should list GPU, iGPU and dedicated GPU.
Vulkan is like this too, but there's no driver.

Maybe you see both GPUs listed if you execute dxdiag?
JoeJ

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:26 pm

I found a way to at lest make the fond a little shapers, by using an option called clearType Text, but is no where near the quality that I was getting with the old nvidia card. AMD has to get thei act together, my monitor is a Dell 2711, which was among the best around when I bought it,
this blurry screen is unacceptable my any mean.

The other problem I have now is that after Reset window, now every problem I run I have to approve.
even when I launch video studio it will no run only I click and run as administrator, else I get these errors. this also goes for VS2012 and 2015, and any other program that I run, does any one knows how remove that stupid restriction that I can no use my own machine.

14>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\CodeAnalysis\Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.targets(214,5): error : The source file for this compilation can be found at: "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\406bb291-2c66-45d1-9ea8-6e06fc8bd1d6.txt"
14>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\CodeAnalysis\Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.targets(214,5): error MSB3758: An error has occurred during compilation. error CS2001: Source file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\exvcvqjb.0.cs' could not be found
14>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\CodeAnalysis\Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.targets(214,5): error MSB3758: An error has occurred during compilation. warning CS2008: No source files specified
Julio Jerez

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion