Tutorials, wiki and all the great good

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Tutorials, wiki and all the great good

Postby misho » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi everyone, and esp. Julio :)

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here, I've just posted a question (now a thread) about a bit of a clarification on the structure of the newton-dynamics-master archive (what does what), perhaps that can get into the documentation as well.

The things are a bit confusing in there, especially an inclusion of "200 series" tutorials which cannot be compiled any longer.

thanks,
Misho
Misho Katulic
CTO, FSX SpacePort
TerraBuilder
www.terrabuilder.com
misho

Postby gaiha » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 am

NEW USER!!

Ok, I'm a newb... does it show? gawd... I need a disguise! Maybe if I lurk in the shadows long enough... alright; let's dive right in instead.

I have given much thought and deliberation to what I want to accomplish, and one of my primary pre-requisites is that all the software I assemble MUST be open source... and Newton fits that with a large footprint.

I am a Student... (gawd, isn't it obvious?). The massive amount of emphasis being placed upon engines like Unity... and Unreal... and (the list goes on and on and on)... leads me to one thing. The ESTABLISHMENT (meaning those with money, want to make more money) just disgust me to no end with their PRODUCTS being taught to us, and we HAVE to accept them as teaching aides.

I'm a Rebel... I'm a Gamer... and I am proud to say that Open Source does not mean defective or unpolished. Quite the exact opposite. Aaron Swartz (RIP) is one of my heroes and I would like to say that I too, am not going to conform to what the ESTABLISHMENT wants us to be using.

I have made my choice for a physics engine, and Newton it is. I have done a thorough inspection of the source code and find that Newton is exactly what I need for my Thesis Project.

so, without any further fanfare or pistol waving, I am going to dive right in and integrate Newton along with OGRE into an old Game Suite known as Multiverse. Yes, it's old... but old doesn't mean broken. Broken would imply it needs fixing, which just simply isn't true. I would prefer to use several other words... such as Update... ...and Upgrade.

I will be lurking close by with my timmies & bagel, and will make every attempt to try to compile the information contained herein into making my project something that blows the doors off the hinges.

smoochies!
gaiha

Postby Kaos » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 am

Julio Jerez wrote:how many people are Unity Users?

blogs.unity3d.com/2013/07/09/another-million-unity-developers-in-the-house/

So in 2013 there were over 2 million registered users.

Ok some fanboys and artists may now switch to ue4 but having experienced that myself i can say that for an indie and experimenteering Developer Unity is still the preferable choice. You said yourself that you didnt like it and i think i know why. ;D If you dont wanna make an fps game its a nightmare to work with at the moment. The vehicle model is physx3.3 based which is raycast based and therefore not usable for any offroad games and the likes. Btw physx3.4 which is supposed to have a beter vhicle wheel collision model is still not out, so nvidia lets anyone hanging for over a year now. Plus it has things like when you brake it goes automatically in reverse so you dont have braking seperated. Its total casual Gameplay garbage. With the setup i could live with and make it work but many had big problems with that and edy s vehicle asset is verys popular for that reason alone on the unity asset store even it just polishes * .. if you dont mind me saying it that way :D

I could get on and on but i will stop here ..

So i have compiled the demo and im impressed (some dont work but what worked was great) but im not sure where to go from there because i need a unity c# wrapper and the net wrapper from sourceforge is no source code and is from 2013 so no up to date.

So i would love to see a plugin happening or some guide or collaboration in making one.
Kaos

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:55 am

Kaos wrote:... Plus it has things like when you brake it goes automatically in reverse so you dont have braking seperated. Its total casual Gameplay garbage. With the setup i could live with and make it work but many had big problems with that and edy s vehicle asset is verys popular for that reason alone on the unity asset store even it just polishes * .. if you dont mind me saying it that way :D
So i have compiled the demo and im impressed (some dont work but what worked was great) but im not sure where to go from there because i need a unity c# wrapper and the net wrapper from sourceforge is no source code and is from 2013 so no up to date.

So i would love to see a plugin happening or some guide or collaboration in making one.

if you download the latest version from form gitub and you player the super car demo
you will see the difference between, the physx vehicle and Newton vehicle.
as a matter of fact I put it against any other e.
The Newton vehicle is super realistic, is use real vehicle parameter, is has thing like real differential, the collision are real shapes, is not a ray cast car.
all parameter are independent, the breaks, real brake, cluth, acceleration steering, even the deferential engaging for four wheel drive if you want to do offroad
Is so realistic that some time is even boring, and I have to add some fake data for exciment and that also part of the beauty, you can make as realistic of as arcady as you want.
just play the 3.14 demo so that you can see

for the demo that do no work, yes there are still work in progress, that I am going over to.
Basically some take priority over other want some people are using a feature.
then the one that are form me get delegated to what I have spare time.
Julio Jerez

Postby Kaos » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:29 am

Julio Jerez wrote:for the demo that do no work, yes there are still work in progress, that I am going over to.
Basically some take priority over other want some people are using a feature.
then the one that are form me get delegated to what I have spare time.

No Problem must be a nightmare to do this alone for the most part. And even if i havent done anything bigger in a while i remember how anoying sideeffects from refactoring and changing little things and meanwhile not knowingly breaking dependencies somewhere else can be. Or in this case keeping demos up to date ;D

It would be great if there will be stable releases long term releases, but afaik you just got to github and made some other major changes. One post sounded like you wanted to give this all up or i misread but i hhope this will live on because it looks so promising to me compared to the alternatives.

My major problem is now to get this somehow working with unity. Since i wouldnt like to trade the 3d engine i like for the physics package i like ;D I think many developers would be happy to try this. If they wouldnt have to get over the hurdle to start from zero.

The super vehicle has nearly zero friction for me. But thats ok, it does all what you claim.
The Tanktread and forklist demo works perfect and im loving it to death ;D
Kaos

Postby JernejL » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58 am

Sorry for hijacking a 2-years old thread:

Newton wiki - the old one ( http://newtondynamics.com/wiki/index.ph ... =Main_Page ) was updated with all the newton 3 changes, all pages have been re-categorized with additional categories (all 499 of newton 3.0 functions.. manually added and merged to wiki).

Deprecated functions were properly marked as such, ancient newton 1.35 info was purged whenever i found it, i doubt that anyone really still uses that.

All new pages were parsed from header and c++ source to get new parameter definitions and original descriptions from the source files.

I hope to add more information soon, i'm wondering that this does:

Code: Select all
NewtonEnumerateDevices
NewtonGetCurrentDevice
NewtonGetDeviceString
NewtonSetCurrentDevice

I see mutithreaded stuff:

Code: Select all
NewtonUpdateAsync
NewtonWaitForUpdateToFinish

NewtonSetThreadsCount
NewtonGetThreadsCount
NewtonGetMaxThreadsCount

NewtonAtomicAdd
NewtonAtomicSwap

NewtonSetMultiThreadSolverOnSingleIsland
NewtonGetMultiThreadSolverOnSingleIsland

NewtonGetThreadsCount
NewtonGetMaxThreadsCount

NewtonDispachThreadJob
NewtonSyncThreadJobs

NewtonWorldCriticalSectionLock
NewtonWorldCriticalSectionUnlock

How should this multithreaded function be used correctly? it mentions newton solver in description.. but NewtonUserJointSetSolverModel does not mention anything about multithreading?

What purpose does NewtonCreateKinematicBody do?

Edit: i also found http://newton-dynamics.readthedocs.io/e ... index.html - who maintains this?
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby d.l.i.w » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:44 am

d.l.i.w

Postby KKlouzal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Well here's my two cents.

First off, Newton offers the most realistic and stable physics simulation I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Internally the code appears to be well structured and organized. The multi-threaded capability seems to be (from a users perspective) simple and easy to use.

As a newcomer, the most perturbing fact is the lack of direct, step-by-step, individual, and incremental tutorials that gradually introduce a user to the library.

For some it will be relatively easy to reference these examples (https://github.com/MADEAPPS/newton-dynamics/tree/master/applications/tutorialsSDK300) and you'll be well on your way, however, for those asking for UDK or Unity integrations (which you should not waste your time on creating) it will require a more basic hand-holding approach of incremental step-by-step direct examples with more code comments than actual code explaining not only what the code is doing but why it is doing it.

All that being said an amazing job has been done thus far with the library.
Once I am more experienced I will contribute to the wiki and offer up some examples and tutorials. Until then, keep up the hard work and dedication because this is the best physics library out there!
KKlouzal

Previous

Return to General Discussion