CreateCustomPlayerController Feedback

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

CreateCustomPlayerController Feedback

Postby bmsq » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Julio,

I've just upgraded my Newton library from 2.03 to 2.10 and started using the CustomPlayerController rather the half-complete controller code I hacked together sometime ago. Initially I was a little confused why the impulse I was applying to jump wasn't working, but after searching the forums, I saw that you still plan to add jump/crouch functionality and were looking for some user feedback. I'll wait patiently for your next version of the controller, but I thought I'd provide you with feedback:

• The interface is great! No changes to the existing body callbacks are required, everything is self contained in the joint 8) .
  • It would be fantastic if there was a way to decide which objects could be walked on like ramps/stairs. ie. Any collision objects which are smaller then the step factor or max slope will be stepped on. I'd like to be able to control which collision objects can be stepped on and which can't.
  • Stair walking works reliably and I like the "snapping" when going back down the stairs. Very nice.
  • Floor "snapping" interferes with external impulses, this left me confused when implementing jumping until I read the forums. Completing the jump/crouch functionality would be very helpful but loosing the ability to use impulses to implement some physics effects/sequences could limit the usefulness of the controller.
  • Transitions from legal to illegal slopes are smooth and the controller behaves as expected :D .
  • Bodies which are "pushed" by the player don't seem to affect the controllers movement in anyway. ie. My player has a mass 80kg but can push a 1tonne box without being slowed down. I know this controller isn't really physics based, but is there any way to take these sort of things into account?
  • This is probably the same thing as my previous point, but it would be really cool if the controller could be affected by forces over a certain threshold. I don't think it's possible for the current controller to be knocked around by game objects like large swinging wrecking balls and stuff.
  • I really like the way you can just apply gravity as normal and the controller just works.

All of these points as supposed to be useful/constructive feed back, so I hope you don't see any of this as being negative. I think the quality of Newton has always been extremely high and the new player controller is no exception to this. I really look forward to see what can be done with the latest version of Newton when it is out of beta!
bmsq

Return to General Discussion