Kinematic Controller Elasticty

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Kinematic Controller Elasticty

Postby benitosub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:55 am

Hi again :)

I have managed to set up a kinematic body controller like the one in the object picking example. For testing purposes I create an object and a kinematic controller right above it, then when I click somewhere on screen I change the TargetPosit of the kinematic controller.

This works well in the sense that the object is pulled towards the new point, but the "connection" is very elastic so the object bounces back and forth several times before settling to where it should be...

Any thoughts on dampening this effect?

Thanks!
benitosub

Re: Kinematic Controller Elasticty

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:31 am

It will be elactic, beacause the max the force is stronger than the Max frition force on the joint, you when you hit somethong it will let go.

you can set the Min and Max frition forc of the joint to be very big but it will probably explode
Julio Jerez

Postby benitosub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:52 am

Mmmm can you suggest any other way to drag objects around then? You know like those flash games with ragdoll, you pick the ragdoll and drag it around by a limb, somthing like that but with a single object? A little elasticity is fine but right now if the object is in one corner of the screen and I click on the opposite corner I can wait a good 10 seconds before teh object stops swinging :( Maybe a different kind of joint / custom controller would do?

Thanks for youe help!
benitosub

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:38 pm

It should not be that soft, look at the wiki demos, and see if the dragging is acceptable to you.
http://newtondynamics.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Tutorial_104:_-_Ray_Cast_And_Convex_Cast
if it is the make you joint liek in the demo
Julio Jerez

Return to General Discussion