Start Newton on the iPhone

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Start Newton on the iPhone

Postby Matic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:09 am

Hello,

thanks. I have successfully compiled library for iOS (simulator only), there are over 21000 errors on device however. Could you please tell me where can I get source for JoinLibrary because I get this error if I use old one:

ld: duplicate symbol _NewtonGetMemoryUsed in /Users/Matic/Desktop/Untitled/libJointLibrary_iPhoneEmulation.a(Newton.o) and /Users/Matic/Desktop/Untitled/libiPhone_simulator.a(Newton.o)
Thanks for help! :)
Matic

Postby Matic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:28 am

OK I have compiled library from source files in dCustomJoints but I there are still 7 more errors when I try to compile my iOS project with iNewton included. Errors like this:
"dgMeshEffectSolidTree::~dgMeshEffectSolidTree()", referenced from:
dgMeshEffect::DestroySolidTree(dgMeshEffectSolidTree*) in libiPhone_simulator.a(dgMeshEffect.o)

Any ideas?

Thanks

P.S.: How do I use iPhone translator?
Matic

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:37 am

Ok you need to run the iphone translarto executable, the problem is that it is a PC exe because I did not find any version of Vison and Flex for the Mac.
In fact I cna no forn any new version for PC either, it look liek they has bein discontinued for a while.

anyway you can simple edit the INetwon.h and INewton.mm and manually and add the missing glue funtions, it is very eassy to do.
Next Time I do the translator again, I will probably use Phyton or swigwin, instead of Flex and Vison. For now the only way to do it, is by editing those file manually and adding the missing functions.
Julio Jerez

Postby Matic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:08 am

OK. So If I understand correctly I have to manualy add those 7 functions for 7 errors? If I have windows can I run translator now? Or is it broken?

Can you post an example of function for error which I have posted above?

Thanks for your help. Just few more steps and I will be able to start using NGE in my game :)
Matic

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Matic wrote:OK I have compiled library from source files in dCustomJoints but I there are still 7 more errors when I try to compile my iOS project with iNewton included. Errors like this:
"dgMeshEffectSolidTree::~dgMeshEffectSolidTree()", referenced from:
dgMeshEffect::DestroySolidTree(dgMeshEffectSolidTree*) in libiPhone_simulator.a(dgMeshEffect.o)
P.S.: How do I use iPhone translator?

Ok I am sorry, I beleive the code is failing on dgMeshEffectSolidTree is because you just have to add files
C:\Users\Julio\Desktop\newton-dynamics\coreLibrary_200\source\physics\dgMeshEffectSolidTree.cpp

to the mac project, the mac, if yo udo that the th erro will go away.

on the translator it will not fix that, because the is a CPP core function, the translator only converty the prototypes in Newton.H to INewton and INewton.mm glue functions
Julio Jerez

Postby Matic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello,

i am almost finished :)

If i want to compile I get errors in this function dgVector dgCollisionConvex::SupportVertexSimd (const dgVector& direction) const.
I can comment these lines right because iOS does not have SIMD support?

I also get errors for "_NewtonCreateCompoundCollisionFromMesh", referenced from:
Can I also comment out these function I use NGD without problems?

Thanks!
Matic

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Cool,
yes for iphone you can comment those out, they probably aren't wparre on the SIMD define

has good development
Julio Jerez

Postby Matic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks for your help. Now iNewton works on iOS simulator and device. :)
Matic

Postby drawtree » Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 am

I note something for further reference...

I experienced many errors while compiling 2.33 source code for iOS.
And I succeeded to compile with Julio's guide in this thread. (1) Make a new iOS target, (2) define _MAC_IPHONE flag.

This worked for Simulator but not for Device. I resolved this by commenting

Code: Select all
#define DG_BUILD_SIMD_CODE

in dgTypes.h file. In Device compilation, compiler tried to compile for SSE. Maybe the SIMD detection logic is not considering ARM.

However, recent source is not compiled with this trick. I don't know what's wrong...
Eonil Hoon Hwangbo
An application developer for iOS / Mac OS X.
drawtree

Postby Relfos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:15 am

Is there any tutorial how to compile Newton for iPhone?
I am a pascal user (in theory I should be able to link my game with a static newton library for iOS) but I have no clue how to recompile it, nor how to use the iPhone translator included in the SDK. In case anyone wants to help, I am willing to pay, I even put a request for this in vworker.com.
Relfos

Postby JernejL » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 pm

I thought it comes with a pre-compiled library for iphone already?
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Relfos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:10 pm

JernejL wrote:I thought it comes with a pre-compiled library for iphone already?

Really? That would be perfect, however the only precompiled library I can find is for windows, could you tell me where is the iPhone library?
Relfos

Postby JernejL » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:49 pm

it should be in mac sdk which a older version of is on download page: downloads.php (ctrl+f)
JernejL

Postby Relfos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:57 pm

JernejL wrote:it should be in mac sdk which a older version of is on download page: downloads.php (ctrl+f)

Ah yes, I've found that, but is for an old version, one problem is that the NewtonCreateBody changed, it is probably not compatible with the latest stuff (and I already have a game prototype almost finished for windows using the latest SDK) :roll:
Relfos

Postby JernejL » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 am

Well you'd have to wait for julio to publish new sdk for mac or just adjust the code slightly to use old parameters, the code should work unless you make use of stuff that was added.
JernejL

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion