iPot Touch problems

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

iPot Touch problems

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 pm

I am tryoin to make a usefull demo for the Ipot touch
but I am having a problem with the linker.
It give me these errors

Building target “NewtonIPhoneEmul” of project “IPhoneDemo” with configuration “Debug” — (5 errors)
cd /Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/IPhoneDemo
setenv IPHONEOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 2.2.1
setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.5
setenv PATH "/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -arch armv6 -isysroot /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS2.2.1.sdk -L/Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/IPhoneDemo/build/Debug-iphoneos -L/Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/IPhoneDemo/../sdk -F/Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/IPhoneDemo/build/Debug-iphoneos -filelist /Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/IPhoneDemo/build/IPhoneDemo.build/Debug-iphoneos/NewtonIPhoneEmul.build/Objects-normal/armv6/IPhoneDemo.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -Wl,-dead_strip -miphoneos-version-min=2.2.1 -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework OpenGLES -framework QuartzCore -lnewton_iPhoneEmulation -o /Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/IPhoneDemo/build/Debug-iphoneos/IPhoneDemo.app/IPhoneDemo
ld warning: in /Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/sdk/libnewton_iPhoneEmulation.a, missing required architecture arm in file
Undefined symbols:
"_NewtonCreate", referenced from:
INewton::INewton()in INewton.o
"_NewtonCreateBox", referenced from:
INewton::CreateBox() in INewton.o
"_NewtonDestroy", referenced from:
INewton::~INewton()in INewton.o
"_NewtonCreateBody", referenced from:
"_NewtonAddCollisionReference", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Build failed (5 errors)

this is the emulation and it start to happens after I removed the old library from the project because I am creating now with different name now.
does anyone knows what I need to do to make the project recognize the newton library?
Julio Jerez

Re: iPot Touch problems

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Oh I think I figure out, some how the demo is trying to build for teh arm6, but is linking to teh emulation library.

Julio Jerez wrote:

/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -arch armv6 -isysroot /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS2.2.1.sdk -ld warning: in /Users/juliojerez/Desktop/NewtonMac/NewtonSDK/sdk/libnewton_iPhoneEmulation.a, missing required architecture arm in file

Build failed (5 errors)

But the problem is that I beleibe I have the matched corretly and I still get the same errors,

I do not know why but I have noticed that xcode projects have the tendencies to go bananas for not reason, and you have to so weird thing to recover them.
I can not figure out why deleting the library and readding it makes the project fail.
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Oh I see what the problem is.
It looks like xcode do no handle bash build of multiple target very well.
I added the Iphone Targets to a multi target project, but because the Iphone are different,
xCode does not change the active SDK when it is building for the Iphone.

The make is very tedious to build all the targets because eI have to keep making then one at a time, and changing the SDK.

If anyone is building application in xCode for Intell Mac, PowerPC, and IPhone and figure out how to set xCode to build the projects without conflit please let me know.
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:09 pm

I would like to know who was the moron at Mac that came up with the moronic NSXMLParcel,
Who the f%*k reads an xml file using a recursive parcer?

Why not having an API that can read the database and let the app read whatever it wants from the database in any order?
With this abomination you can only read secuencially, therfore if data must be processed based on what is not read yet the liad becomes very diffcult.
This is the kind of mediocrity you get when the self appointed experts decide they know better and they can make "Industry Standard"
what you get is the implementation of Ideas that seems to come from where the sun do not shine.

tinyXML is by far superior than this * NSXMLParcel, but in the Iphone is appears this is the only way to read data.

Does any one have a utility for readin xml file like tineXml for COCOA, but the is compatible with objective c
Julio Jerez

Postby KiwiCoder » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Hmm, don't know what most people use for XML handling on the Mac, given that the packaged APIs are not very comfortable to use -
at one point I was surprised to read the official response by some development engineer at Apple asked about how poor both, the procedural and Cocoa XML APIs are: "Well, just use one of the open source packages, they're better anyway."

When I stumbled accross it in the past it seemed that quite a few developers chose to use libxml2.

FWIW, I'm using my own simplistic framework on top of the CFXML* functions, not very flexible though.
The "event driven" stuff is pretty crappy IMHO.

Anyway - If you've ever had the joy of working with XML in Groovy it's just a pain to get back to any mainstream language, be it C++/#, Cocoa, Java, or whatever..

Hope that helps..
KiwiCoder

Return to General Discussion