new to newtown

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

new to newtown

Postby ulao » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 am

First off hello to all, I'm using irrlicht and a "irrnewt" wrapper for the integration to newton. Unfortunately the wrapper was developed by a non English speaking individual, or at least not spoken well and only commented the basics. I was not able to use the chm with the newton download as it seems to be busted? I did find useful info on this forum including a few wiki links, so thx for that!

My first question is a bit of a Newton law question. I'm going to assume, until otherwise told different, that a physics engine is a set of math to replicate the effects of natural laws of physics. In other words, you can't set velocity , velocity is a production of speed and direction. So setting speed and directional would allow you to get velocity. Or you could say you can set velocity by giving a speed and direction..

Now please dont get me wrong, I'm no physicist. However I'd like to think I have a understanding of physics, at least enough to use an engine ;) Which leads me to my next question question..

to create velocity you need speed and direction

to create a force (mass times acceleration) you need a posing force.

Now If it were me, I'd create the functions like so.

velocity( fSpeeed, VDirection ) and force ( fForce )

Or something like that. The wrapper I have uses a vector for each, and most examples I find pertaining to this wrapper for movement use velocity to move an object.

Now, I guess for the most part its up to the programmer to choose how he/she wants to instantiate a force and what he/she is forcing. However, personally, I'd like to base my code on physics, as I think that just makes more sense.

So If I have a character, and I want to start a "run", then I would apply a force to it, would I not? And if I need to turn I would apply a rotation to it? so a force would in turn create a speed and if a rotation was applied the velocity would change. Would this sound correct? If so what is setting a velocity for? And what is a "velocity vector" in terms of what velocity is?

Or, Is this setting Velocity trick a way to set a force and a direction so that we dont slide out of our wanted path. In other words we turn and move rather then having to adjust the force each time?

I can get the functions he is calling if that helps.
Last edited by ulao on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ulao

Re: new to newtown

Postby Virginie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 am

Hello,

I'm not good in english so I'm not understand all but I understand that you want to know the mechanism of newton.
So in this link there are some tuto to explain newton to start :
http://jeux.developpez.com/tutoriels/?page=phys#newton

If it's not that you want sorry else I hope this help you :)
Virginie

Postby ulao » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:18 am

Thank you for the info, it to is not English LOL, but its nice to have resources.

No it did not directly answer my concerns but its a nice to have thx.
ulao

Postby Virginie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:20 am

Ho yes it's in french!

Excuse me ^^.
Virginie

Return to General Discussion