What type of join should I use for moving a creatures leg?

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

What type of join should I use for moving a creatures leg?

Postby ryj3k » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi and Hello to everyone, I'm new and a newbie ;)

I'm working on Genetic Algorithm project, precisely on Evolution Program in which I will evolve 4-legged creatures.

I'm using Newton and Irrlicht to make a simulator for these creatures. The creatures will try to move forward in any direction, they will move forward thanks to moving their legs.

My problem is how to create a joint between cylindrical leggs and spherical corpus? Which Joint i should use if I want to set scope and force which this joint can use to move leg?

Any advices are welcome, thanks for reply in advance, sorry for poor english :), it's late.
ryj3k

Re: What type of join should I use for moving a creatures leg?

Postby JoeWright » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:17 pm

I used a combination of custom hinge joints. See http://www.newtondynamics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5026 for more info.

Joe
JoeWright

Re: What type of join should I use for moving a creatures leg?

Postby ryj3k » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks for reply JoeWright!

Your code looks promising, but i've got a problem with it.
I described my problem in another topic, but here I'd please You to paste a peace of code.
What is your definition for NewtonHingeCallBack function that you provide to Hinge Joint. In documentation I found that NewtonUserJointAddLinearRow function could be only called from NewtonHingeCallBack function.

So could you place some more code please.
Thanks in advance.

I really need help with it, I get much more from Newton now, but there are some ideas of engines design that I still don't exactly catch.
ryj3k

Return to General Discussion