Simple vehicle example (1.53)

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Simple vehicle example (1.53)

Postby tiresius » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:30 am

Hello folks-

I am in need of a nice simple vehicle example in 1.53 version of Newton. I know I'm not up to speed with using the 2.0 beta but this is for the DBPro wrapper which is behind the times already (1.32) so I'm trying to update it a little (to 1.53).

In the Newton SDK for 1.53 the simple vehicle example (one with jeep and tank) still has the NewtonVehicleBalanceTires so I'm not sure how valid it is? I haven't run the code, just read it to see sample parameters and if they've changed.

The issue I'm having with the original DBPro "simple vehicle" example (which worked in 1.32 version using Newton SDK) is that the tires do not seem to hold the chassis up. It slowly sinks until it drags on the ground. And I had to increase the shock/spring dampeners x10 in order for the tires to stay with the chassis otherwise they bounced like crazy at its side. :)

So if anybody has a super simple vehicle demo (not using raycast or anything else, just bare bones chassis and tires) I would appreciate any help. And perhaps someone has seen a sinking chassis or knows a reason why a high shock/spring value is needed in 1.53 and can shed light on that. Thanks for your time!
An apple fell on my head and I haven't been the same since...
tiresius

Re: Simple vehicle example (1.53)

Postby tiresius » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:02 am

It's always after you post a question you go back to the problem with renewed vigor making sure you don't sound stupid. Well I failed once again. :)
In looking at this file: NewtonRaceCar.cpp (implementation of the RaceCar class) the answers to my questions were found. I didn't realize the damper for springs/shocks needed to be several times higher than gravity.
tiresius

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 am

use the car in 2.0
Julio Jerez

Postby tiresius » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:19 pm

I am a C++ hack and terrified of the Newton 2.0 beta and what changes it might require of the wrapper. :) But once I'm done updating to Newton 1.53 for DBPro I will evaluate the 2.0 beta, hopefully it becomes official stable release soon?
tiresius

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:29 pm

if you want ot stay with 1.53 more power to you,
like I said you will be stoked with slower performance and teh bug that had being fixed for the newer version.

Maybe is abuot t time some one update that wraper them.
Julio Jerez

Postby tiresius » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:31 pm

I just downloaded the open beta of 2.0 and checked the changes. There are major changes (I guess that's why it's a new version!) and a lot of stuff has been removed or redone completely. Old vehicle joint replaced by Multi-body and raycast vehicles.

I will have to become much more of a C++ and physics guru to bring that library to the DBPro users (and lets face it, if I was good at C++ I wouldn't be working in BASIC) :). Perhaps someone else with skills like a Walaber will come along and help us once again. :) Thanks Julio for such an excellent physics lib.
tiresius

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 am

teh convetion is no taht fifficult, if you start simple.
this how I wil do in,

in the wraper you already have comenet out everython teh usans Newton.
compile and have it running, tah will run the wraper, but no simulation will happens.

teh you start uncomnetion thing fonr teh majosr systems down to teh more detal system.

teh fist will me NewtonCreate and Netwon destroy whicj you already have.
teh creati teh bodies, whin will make you cret teh collisionm and so on unlt you cobever everthong you have.

you will see that the new library although have some diffences it is much simpler to use, than 1.53 was.
Julio Jerez

Return to General Discussion