Support with simple systems

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Support with simple systems

Postby agi_shi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Uh, a 26x26x26 meter box? That's why it's not behaving right.
agi_shi

Postby Sury » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:15 pm

Reading whats happening with the boxes and cylinders I think the physics bodies and the visuals do not match. Implement a debug display and you can see the Newton bodies directly without any matrices and euler angles.
Sury

Postby Sury » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:43 am

I should read peoples post completely, before answering... If you can't even render debug lines, probably try to dump the vertices to a text file. Every 3 vertices for a triangle, like triangle list. Then you can load up that and render or do something else to visualize what is hapening with the transform.
Or another note try to render a tiny mesh or billboard from that engine at every vertex returned from the newtondebug callback. You can see your physics boxes corners as tiny billboards(or something) floating in space. :)
Sury

Postby Paril » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:00 pm

agi_shi wrote:Uh, a 26x26x26 meter box? That's why it's not behaving right.

Quake works on a big scale. They are units, not meters. I assumed Newton didn't work in any specific unit, and they seemed to actually fit well with Quake2's unit scale. a 26x26x26 box is actually very small (the player model is 32x32x56)

Rendering boxes as pose "vertices" don't make any difference because the vertices still randomly twitch as if they were hit by a burst of random air turbulence out of nowhere..

-Paril
Paril

Postby Stucuk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:50 am

While you would have to scale the gravity up (Which is what i had to do when i used newton on an engine i made to emulate Return To Castle Wolfenstine), large objects work fine as long as everything else in the world is scaled up. You don't need to have real life mesurements to get what looks to be pritty realistic results.

Newton technicaly doesn't work with any units, but for realistic results you need to use units which are relitive to each other. As in, if you make a car the size of a house but give it the weight of a real life car, then it won't react realisticaly if you drop it.
Stucuk

Previous

Return to General Discussion