Odd Issue: Nothing Collides (no collision callbacks called)

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Odd Issue: Nothing Collides (no collision callbacks called)

Postby Game_Ender » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:38 pm

I am having an odd issues with no collisions happening on OS X 10.5. Objects just fall right through each other, they are still affected by gravity, but not by anything else.

I am using Newton through OgreNewt with the Python-Ogre wrapper, and I have the same versions of everything on both Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) and OS X (10.5). Only on OS X do the collisions not work, and this happens in both the OgreNewt demos supplied with Python-Ogre and my custom application.

There is a demo which uses a custom collision callback and I have found that on Linux this callback gets called just fine, but on OS X it does not get called at all. I am using the latest OgreNewt from CVS (hasn't changed in months), Netwon 1.53, and Ogre 1.6.0 (again, the same versions on both OS X & Linux).

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, or a way to diagnose the issue?
Game_Ender

Re: Odd Issue: Nothing Collides (no collision callbacks called)

Postby Game_Ender » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Oh, and please don't tell me to upgrade to 2.0. All other feedback is welcome.
Game_Ender

Postby agi_shi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:53 pm

There's not much else we can tell you, 1.53 is years old, just let it go. Upgrade to 2.0. Especially considering you're using Linux and Mac.
agi_shi

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:28 pm

even if you manage to find out what the error is, you are going to be stucked on a library that no one is using anymore and than can do a fraction of the newer library do.
I do not even have it in my computer, only on cd backups.

OgreNewt has being converted to use newton 2.0, so from your side it should be a plug an dplay issue.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4972

I do not see what it the real problems when you have a solution that is far superior with bug fixes on both side (OgreNewt itself and Newton 2.0).
Julio Jerez

Postby Game_Ender » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:32 am

Thanks for the quick response, although I really hoping for something other than: "Upgrade to the Beta". I am looking for something along the lines of: "If you return the wrong value at point X, nothing will collide" Then I could go investigate point X.

Julio Jerez wrote:I do not see what it the real problems when you have a solution that is far superior with bug fixes on both side (OgreNewt itself and Newton 2.0).

I will investigate integrating one of the several Newton 2.0 OgreNewt updates, buts its difficult with the my current setup. Since nothing has actually hit the official CVS version its going to be harder for me to maintain, hence my hope that someone could provide some better answers. Also Python-Ogre is rather sensitive so not changing the libraries it wraps is generally the good thing.
Game_Ender

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:38 am

Moving from Newton 1.5 to 2.0 do required integration since some function had change especially on the collision area, but moving from OgreNewt with 1.5 to OgreNewt with 2.0 should shield you from that.
I do not understand why you speak of integration. If you are using Ogrenewt and you have not changes, it should be as simple as downloading the sdk and recompile.
The new Ogrenewt will only have new features and bug fixed, chances are the that bug you have is fixed or if not then you will get reponse from people who are fresh working on it.

I downloaded Ogre the other day to debug a progblem with linux and even that version was using the new Newton.
As a matter of fact I do not think that of the few people using Newton with Ogre no one is using 1.53
Julio Jerez

Postby melven » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm afraid in the OgreNewt-code for newton 2.0 I made a few "interface breaking" changes. So if you move from OgreNewt with 1.5 to OgreNewt with 2.0, you need to make some changes to your program (this is the same with walaber's version of OgreNewt for newton 2.0, but he has less differences). In order to support the new features most notable the new contact callbacks some interface-breaking changes were needed...
But it shouldn't be too much work... you need to adjust your code in the contact-callbacks and then change the parameters of a few functions that have changed (your compiler will complain).
I didn't test OgreNewt with OS X, though.
melven

Postby Game_Ender » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm

melven wrote:I'm afraid in the OgreNewt-code for newton 2.0 I made a few "interface breaking" changes. So if you move from OgreNewt with 1.5 to OgreNewt with 2.0, you need to make some changes to your program (this is the same with walaber's version of OgreNewt for newton 2.0, but he has less differences).

Where is walaber's version? Is it the ogreaddons CVS?
Game_Ender

Return to General Discussion