Newton 2.0 API and ABI compatibility and D

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Newton 2.0 API and ABI compatibility and D

Postby JernejL » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:45 am

predaeus: you are NOT making a physics engine using newton, you are making a wrapper, i dont see how that rule would apply then.
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby predaeus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Well some expressed concerns about redistributing Newton together with such a wrapper library which would violate

except as part of a _compiled_ software program that is not itself a physics library

For example someone might want to provide a certain version of Newton with the wrapper, just like Julio mentioned as a possibility to redistribute Newton together with programs. The reasoning here is the same, but it would be forbidden to do so.

I don't know, if it is too complicated to make all those cases possible, then it should at least be made clear that

1) you can redistribute Newton together with a program and
2) you can change its header and include the changed header in a language wrapper.

This should be the two most important cases.
predaeus

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 pm

I do not understand why people are so uptight about licenses.
Can you give me a paragraph for a good license that you feel comfortable with.
Are they any standardized license text that is applicable to libraries like Newton?

To my knowledge the alphabet libraries like MIT, ZIP, LGPL are for open source projects.
Julio Jerez

Postby Stucuk » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Since Julio is the only one who can sue you over breaking licence agreements, and since he has already stated you can do whatever you want with it, i don't see the problem. Julio has stated that what you are doing is fine (Thus he isn't going to try and Sue you), so who cares about how you can interpreate the licence agreement.
Stucuk

Previous

Return to General Discussion