Character Controller Demo

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Character Controller Demo

Postby leblebi » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:58 am

http://www.harmanci.net/oztan/walker.zip

Here is a demo of the controller system I described in
http://www.physicsengine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=993

This is the first method. Character is fixed to an AABB by using an upvector joint and manually fixing the rotation and omega. One should actually use a cylinder and not touch the omega and rotation but the "thick raycast" function I wrote actually treats the ray as OOBB.

The walker cannot walk over other dynamic bodies, i.e. the raycast only works with the static world. Therefore if you kump on the domino bodies your character may lose contact with ground and get stuck. There are simple workarounds for this issue but I havent implemented them yet.[/url]
leblebi

Postby walaber » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:49 am

worls pretty well! if you add the detection of live bodies as well, it'll be even better..

if there was a simple solution to the friction problem (moving walkways, etc), this would be a fantastic controller!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Similar Approach

Postby XycsoscyX » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:28 am

I was working on a similar approach to your method (thanks to your example, of course). Basically, instead of putting the springs under the object and always pushing it back it, I am trying out putting the springs in front of the object. Basically, the distance in front is proportional to the objects velocity. This means that a stationary object won't spring up, but a fast moving object will spring up sooner (reach out further to feel for steps). This also means that the object itself is placed on the ground, the spring acts more as a jump when there is a step in front of the object. I have something in the works currently, and the testing seems to work well, I just don't have the spring force calculation yet, so the object flies up at steps (intenionally at the moment). I'll post as to the results once I get it implemented fully, but it's promising so far.

Great demo though, and great idea in general. It's a lot simpler than I first thought it would be, and your demo runs really well, I like the smooth motion when moving up the steps. Great job!
XycsoscyX

Return to User Gallery