Playing with physics in VR

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Playing with physics in VR

Postby pHySiQuE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Not only does VR offer greater immersion in a visual sense, it also gives you the ability to interact with the physical world in a deeper way than has ever been possible.

Here I am using the kinematic joint to pick up blocks and move them around. I can even throw them. There is no special trick to picking up objects, it's just a kinematic joint that moves them around to where my controllers are. When I release the trigger the joint is deleted. If the object is in motion when you let go, then you are throwing it.

The only problem is the rotation seems extremely slow no matter what friction value I provide.
pHySiQuE

Re: Playing with physics in VR

Postby pHySiQuE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Okay, the problem was that swept collision was enabled for those blocks, which for some reason makes the kinematic joint effect really slow. Here it is with swept collision disabled.
pHySiQuE

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm

I guess you could say, there is some value in getting the physics by the equations that govern the laws of physics, rather than invent a brand new law for each new functionality.

these are the things the self appointed experts do not like about newton, you may not beleve this but there are some companies there who invest millions to do something you are getting with a free libarary and off the shelf hardware and you are getting it with a precisionion and acuracy they can only dream off.
your welcome.
Julio Jerez

Postby pHySiQuE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you! :mrgreen:

pHySiQuE

Return to User Gallery