NewtonPlayGround

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Thomas » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:32 am

yes, very cool! :) ...looking forward to the release!
Thomas

Postby walaber » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:49 pm

indeed, very cool! how are you making the automatic compound collision generator? do you just make a convex hull from each "submesh" in the model? if so, I guess you would need to be careful to make the model in a way that the generated collision will be accurate.

that gear demo is really really cool!! reminds me of that gear demo I made a while back, but it only had 3 gears :D

looking forward to seeing the new release!!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Stucuk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:38 am

Following happens when loading an XML

'0,8 ist kein gultiger Gleitkommawert.'

Which if im correct means that u never used " DecimalSeparator := ','; ".
Stucuk

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:04 am

@Walaber :
Yes, I build the compound from all the submeshes contained in a 3DS. So yes, one need to take care of how the mesh will end up by oneself.

@Stucuk :
I have some special tool functions that take care of the decimal separators and the difference in those float strings, so this should not happen. But maybe I forgot to use that function somewhere and just load that value without checking so that error pops up. Could you please tell me if that happened with the old version too and also tell me which XML-file gives that error?
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:39 am

This is unbelievable; I am drooling looking at this video. Way to go Sascha.
I am going to propose a challenge here, you think you can make a design with different gears type, bevel, helical, etc.
Here is an interesting setup for a set of planetary gears
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/planetary_gear
Julio Jerez

Postby Stucuk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:46 pm

All the vehicle ones. Only recently downloaded the program.

Are you using a function to turn . into , when saving?
Stucuk

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:06 pm

@Stucuk :
Thx for the information Stucuk! Yes, I use a function that converst the current decimal separator to '.' before saving (see the XMLs) and it seems that I forgot to use that function when saving some vehicle-related values. If you open one of the XMLs that store vehicles you'll see that e.g. the spring values use ',' by accident, which shouldn't be. And then on loading I replace that '.' again by the current decimal separator, so that it does not matter what language settings your OS uses. So this was my fault and I apologize. It'll be fixed in the next version.

@Julio :
That gear-configurations on that page look quite interesting and if I'll get the time I'll try to implement one of them. That should work, the biggest part would be to modell the gears in a 3D modeller.
Sascha Willems

Postby MatAllum » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:24 am

I noticed that whenever I tried to load an XML containing a "tank," or any kind of vehicle other than the one made of joints, I get an indecipherable error message and the XML then loads except without the vehicles. What's going on?

One little suggestion I should add: There should be a way to control the vehicles created. That might be fun to do, especially with the joint vehicle.
MatAllum

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:20 am

MatAllum wrote:I noticed that whenever I tried to load an XML containing a "tank," or any kind of vehicle other than the one made of joints, I get an indecipherable error message and the XML then loads except without the vehicles. What's going on?

Stucuk already mentioned that and I also gave an answer to it, please refer to my last post. It'll be fixed in the next release (no ETA yet).

MatAllum wrote:One little suggestion I should add: There should be a way to control the vehicles created. That might be fun to do, especially with the joint vehicle.

I already thought about that and the code is in there. But I don't want to "compete" with walaber's StuntPlayground, so I don't think that I'll let the users drive the vehicles (for now, but maybe I'll change my mind on this).
Sascha Willems

Postby MatAllum » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:45 pm

Oh, I see now. Thanks.
MatAllum

Postby Sascha Willems » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:50 am

(Clicky for 800x600) :
Image Image

No video yet. The parts don't fit 100% as I built the single parts in just some minutes (didn't have more time), so the outer ring won't rotate as it should (it does when you start to turn a gear, but it jitters). But as soon as I got the dent's in the outer ring so that they 100% fit the dents on the gears (which is harder than it sounds ;) ) I'll release a video of it. I also just added the possibility to offset the joints in the playground relative to their parents, so that one can build really complex gear/joints-systems.
Sascha Willems

Postby Stucuk » Sun May 01, 2005 12:58 am

Sascha Willems wrote:But I don't want to "compete" with walaber's StuntPlayground, so I don't think that I'll let the users drive the vehicles (for now, but maybe I'll change my mind on this).

You wouldn't rearly be compeating. Wabblers is more like a game, urs is more like a dev's tool.
Stucuk

Postby Assembler » Sun May 01, 2005 5:38 am

I think that too!
In your application, you can make joint and load your own models.
In walabers Stuntplayground, you have just predefined objects.
Programming is just for 15 year old boys! Not for grown ups! :)

http://www.celement.de (currently german only)
Assembler

Postby Sascha Willems » Sun May 01, 2005 6:51 pm

I managed to build a rather useable planetary gears configuration in 3D Studio and build that configuration in my NewtonPlayGround :

(Clicky for 800x600)

If you want to see it in Action, you can download this video (3.7 MBytes, WMV). I never saw such a thing in reality, but it acts as one would thought it to act.

The current version of NewtonPlayGround is coming along nice and the list of changes is already rather huge. I don't want to give an ETA, but it could be ready within the next two weeks.
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun May 01, 2005 8:04 pm

dude very nice. I was joking when I summit the challenge. It is very difficult to get the correct size of the gear tooth to make the gear.
I knew at one time but I horgot all about.
This is very nice.
How you made the outer ring, it is compound of convex or tree collision?
Julio Jerez

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery